Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost Lines...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Default Boost Lines...

Ok, I was ripping things apart on my 91 Eagle Talon so I could clean things up and find my oil leak or such other problems and I found a brass shut off valve with brass tubing...

Now my question is; is this stock? I don't think it is it's hooked up to the actuator hose to open and close the wastegate and therefore it runs into the BOV and the other line... should I take this valve off and have them running straight? I mean I know if I take this valve off my boost will probly be lower but, do yo uthink it's safe to be on there?

Other question; I have oil in my charge pipes... also in my turbo BUT! heres the tricky part....

If it was the turbo leaking the oil why would the oil be in where the filter is? So, im thinking that it's not the turbo just because it's before the turbo too and also the turbo seems to be rebuilt because it is very strong and there is no kind of shaft play what so ever!

Anything to add, ask or, to help let me know...

Old 02-17-2005, 04:41 AM
Default RE: Boost Lines...

For your first question, thats kinda hard to answer without seeing it. I am guessing it is not stock since i dont recall any valves being brass, but if it is hooked up to your turbo it may be your stock boost control selenoid.

For the oil in you turbo/intake, your turbo is not leaking. All that oil is griming up your turbo because of the vacuum hose that connects to the snorkel intake tube from your valve cover. You can either cap off that hose with a breather filter, or periodically clean everything out inside. The vacuum line is only on for emission purposes and makes a mess of your intake lines and can limit the life of your turbo.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:07 PM

So, your saying I should take off the oil breather hose and cap it? Or my turbo won't last as long?

Theres another hose right next to the oil breather hose... what is it? it's on where the MAF right next to the oil breather hose...

Old 02-18-2005, 03:20 AM

I have a question about the hose that goes from the Blow Off Valve back to the intake right infront of the turbo... Is it ok if I took that off and plugged up that hole?? because im going to change the whole intake sense it's junky....

I read somewhere that it was a good idea to have your bov going back into the intake...

but is it ok if i blocked that off of the stock intake?

Old 02-22-2005, 10:15 PM

leave your dump tube right were it is, unless you have the maf translator you can not vent your bov into the air without your running like crap.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: 96awd

leave your dump tube right were it is, unless you have the maf translator you can not vent your bov into the air without your running like crap.
What would it do? Would it just take longer for the turbo to spool up or what?

Old 02-23-2005, 01:26 PM

no, it will literally run like crap, all the air the computer has read is being vented to the atmosphere, so the computer has read that air intake and thinks its still in the system when its not and the computer doesnt compensate for that......... it can mess things up real bad.........

Old 02-23-2005, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: 1398spdr

no, it will literally run like crap, all the air the computer has read is being vented to the atmosphere, so the computer has read that air intake and thinks its still in the system when its not and the computer doesnt compensate for that......... it can mess things up real bad.........
What if I block the hole where the dump tube is going into? Like, if I take the dump tube hose off the intake block that hole up and just let the bov go into the atmosphere?

I don't think it would read wrong if I did that.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:46 PM

yes it will, see the computer reads the air coming into the engine thru the MAF, the dump tube is after the MAF, so any air that is supposed to go thru the dump tube and back into the engine has already been accounted for....... so the computer has read air that is no longer in the engine if you cut the dump tube out, so now the computer is reading less air than the engine needs to run effectivly because it has already accounted for the air that is no longer in the engine, and that will make you run rich, and the more you run like that, the more likely you are to mess somethin up, it work ok for a coupla days, but then, well, bye bye engine...........

Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: 1398spdr

yes it will, see the computer reads the air coming into the engine thru the MAF, the dump tube is after the MAF, so any air that is supposed to go thru the dump tube and back into the engine has already been accounted for....... so the computer has read air that is no longer in the engine if you cut the dump tube out, so now the computer is reading less air than the engine needs to run effectivly because it has already accounted for the air that is no longer in the engine, and that will make you run rich, and the more you run like that, the more likely you are to mess somethin up, it work ok for a coupla days, but then, well, bye bye engine...........
Ok, just wanted to clear that up. I was just trying to eliminate things and see if it would be ok or not so, I thought I would be safe and ask someone else.

Quick Reply: Boost Lines...