Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Centerforce I

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Default Centerforce I

Burned out my clutch today.

After only 1 year of use, 20Kmi.

WTF?

It was a CarQuest remanufactured/rebuilt clutch kit $ 65.00.

Was it a low grade part ? ...or was it my driving ?

I merge onto a busy highway every morning on my way to work and usually have to launch pretty hard just to not get run over by the fast moving traffic!

So, this poor clutch has seen about maybe 150 hi rev. launches.

Maybe thats my problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------

How come new car clutches last 100K mi. before needing replaced ?

I thought that maybe if I installed a new flywheel and clutch combo I could duplicate the new car spec.'s and then maybe get 100Kmi. out of a replacement clutch.

I ordered a centerforce I. (Not too radical, about 30% more holding power over stock)>

Anyone have any experience with centerforce products ?

Do they work ?

DT

Old 08-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Default RE: Centerforce I

I have an update to my last post.

I replaced the clutch/flywheel together.

Turns out the old clutch was still good, had lots of material left, but the flywheel was all glazed ! --slippin' like crazy.

I guess that I didn't properly re-surface the flywheel the last time I replaced the clutch; so, it worked perfectly for 20Kmi. then got all glazed up and started slipping. Stupid-***-me [:@]

This time I bought a Centerforce I performance clutch (they give you neat window stickers! ) .

This promises to give you 30% more holding power, but it is not as much as a stage 1 performance clutch, it is more of kind of just an upgrade. (A real stage I delivers 60 to 90% more holding power.) The Centerforce I is like about a 'stage .50' (I guess.)

Anyhow, it grabs !

A stock clutch should start engaging at about when the pedal is about 2" off of the floor, and then let you have some give and slip at this point for a nice smooth acceleration.

The centerforce I grabs at about 1.25" clutch-pedal-off-the-firewall and only allows about half the amount of slipp at this point, so I have to relearn pulling out from a stop going uphill or I can 'pop' this sucker real easy !

My old stock clutch would start some slippage @ about 4krpm+ (like when I would merge onto highway) so, I though the Centerforce performance would fix that.

I will try this out after my 500 mi. break-in is done.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

In the meantime I gotta tune some things up.
Seems my idle runs too low when the engine is cold, ( less than 500 rpm ,then keeps stalling out), ... and then when the engine gets hot the idle runs too high ! (Like about 3krpm)

Does anyone know what causes this ?

DT