Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch or clutch master cyl

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Default clutch or clutch master cyl

i was wondering if anyone could tell me if this sounds like a clutch problem or a clutchmaster cyl problem the car starts but when you put it into gear it wont go it just grindes and the clutch wont come back up.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Default RE: clutch or clutch master cyl

could be a number of things but if is your master or slave cylinders you will feel a pressure drop, does your clutch feel lighter/sticky? to check your cylinders: for the master get under your dash and look at where the clutch pedal goes into the firewall, on the metal rod does it look wet? if its leaking there u need to replace it. for the slave cylinder: jack up your car, the slave goes into your tranny, you need to pul the rubber boot back and see if the rod is wet. if it is replace. if either are bad replace both at the same time anyway because if one is bad it puts extra stress on the other and it will wear out soon

Old 03-20-2005, 11:23 PM

That excact thing happened to me it was my clutch master cylinder. While I was driving one of the bolts came loose and I heard this kinda loud pop sound. Well that pop was a bolt shooting out. When that happened my clutch pedal stuck to the floor and I couldnt get it into any gear. So check the bolts bolting the clutch master cylinder to the tranny and tighten them down. A common problem with upgraded clutches on these tranny is the clutch master cylinder rod isnt long enough to push the upgraded clutch. If your master cylinder is fine and the bolts are still tight then I know of a guy selling longer rods that slip right in for like 25 bucks, and these cure the problem. Hope this helps good luck!

Old 03-20-2005, 11:44 PM

Ive had both problems...lol An easy way to tell if its the master cylinder is to pump the clutch a few times and see if it goes into gear; if it still has no pressure, then you most likely need a new clutch, and depending on how odl your car is, you may need a new flywheel, which is somethign you should put in either way due to the labor of dropping the tranny.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:54 AM

im sorry to say but both of these guys are very misleading.
first of all, the clutch cylinder that bolts to the tranny is the SLAVE cylinder, not the MASTER cylinder, so if u went into a store asking for one or the other u better make sure u kno which u need or u willbe getting the wrong one. second of all, DO NOT try to lengthen the rod on the slave cylinder, you dont even kno if that is your problem but if it is and you do that you could cause some serious damage long term. that is only a quick fix and will cause havoc on your throw out bearing and can destroy them, even leading to crankwalk. if you need to lengthen your slave cylinder rod the reason is probably because your clutch release fork is bent and needs to be replaced ( it can bend with a strong aftermarket clutch) theyre only $60 but u need to take your tranny out. if you dont believe me read this:http://www.roadraceengineering.com/c...ywheeltech.htm at the bottom of the page there is a lot of useful info before you start replacing everything.
second of all, just because of the problems you are explaining that doesnt necessarily ( and most likely doesnt) mean that you need a new clutch or flywheel. you just need to check all clutch adjustments. he is right tho that if you have to take your tranny out and your clutch has a lot of miles on it you may want to get a new one anyway.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:10 AM

When I said the master cylinder bolts to the tranny, I meant to say the slave my bad. And you dont have to drop the tranny to install a longer slave cylinder rod, you take of the cylinder from beneath and simply pull out the old one and slip the new one in. But your right anyway about the longer rod and how it shouldnt be used. So...... yeah

Old 03-22-2005, 12:37 AM

yea thats true u can just pull the slave cylinder rod out to replace it but I was saying the clutch fork is probably bent (the thick metal arm that sticks out of the tranny through the bell housing) and to replace that you need to drop the tranny...

Old 03-22-2005, 03:07 AM

I just pulled my clutch out of my Eclipse, the same car that I had this same problem with, and the the arm wasnt bent or broken or anything, and I checked because that same tranny and clutch and flywheel into a Talon. So I'm thinkin either the slave cylinder bolts are loose, like what happened to mine, or the cylinder needs to be replaced.