Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosis 101

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:00 PM
pc
Default Diagnosis 101

I'd like to start a discussion on doing simple troubleshooting. A lot of the posts here are from people who have no engine knowledge and no simple testing tools. The frustration by both the person in trouble and the person trying to help is from a lack of specific knowledge and information which will help point to a proper direction of the trouble. I have basic experience and knowledge that usually helps me go in the right direction for my own problems. I also have some basic test tools and will need to acquire a few more for OBDII and computer systems as well as fuel injectors. But I don't want to buy expensive, use once, testers, so I am very careful what I buy. Of course the first thing I buy is a factory manual for my vehicle. The initial cost of a couple of hundred $$ gets paid back over and over again, especially since I keep my vehicles for a long time. I also maintain my vehicles on a regular basis and keep a maintenance log so I don't run into many problems.
I think with input from a lot of people we can develop a good troubleshooting method that will enable more people to get their problem solved. We can also come up with a check list that will help eliminate simple problems and give the people trying to help some information to work with.
Here are two links that perform simple tests to enable the car owner narrow down where the problem is. This isn't the only way to do this but gives an idea of the method.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_aut...276264,00.html
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_aut...276265,00.html
The first thing I do is check for spark. Because that's the easiest to do and is the most accessable. If I get spark at the plug, all the plugs, I can usually then look for fuel problems. Checking for spark also helps me determine if it's one or two cylinders or all cylinders.
So I've started this off, lets see who can help add their knowledge and experience.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Default RE: Diagnosis 101

thats all fine but this isnt a 'discussion' forum this is a question/answer forum. The information is already out there we dont need to clog up the forum with it, then we have to dig through it to find actual questions. all your posts are things people can search for themselves, OR you can post them as replys when someone asks a question.

Old 07-16-2005, 07:15 PM
pc
Default RE: Diagnosis 101

Why don't I post the description of the "Tech Forum", "Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here..." Don't you think most of the topics here are "specific" at least about a specific car and a specific problem even though they should be posted on the vehicle specific forums. And don't you think a lot of non-solved problems with no hope if a fix because people don't bother to find the basic information is a just clogging up the forum? I was trying to help get more questions answered as there are a lot of questions for help but not too many solved. But since DSMTalonAWD51 is the only one to respond to my topic it seems that his is the general sentiment. I'll take my manual, as I seem to be one of the few not too cheap or to poor to buy one and solve my own problems as I have always done.