Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Diff Noise 2008 Model Triton 3.2 Litre Turbo Diesel 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Question Diff Noise 2008 Model Triton 3.2 Litre Turbo Diesel 4x4

I own a 2008 Dual Cab Triton GLXR 4x4 3.2 Litre Turbo Diesel, with a Factory rear Diff Lock. The vehicle has 40,000 kilometers on the clock and has had no hard on or off road work. It has had its required Services, but recently I had it jacked up in neutral with all 4 wheels off the ground, and noticed when the back wheels were spun there appeared to be a clicking noise coming from the Crown Wheel and Pinion area, which I hadnt noticed before with the vehicle jacked up off the ground. ( I have had the vehicle off the ground previously to fit Air Bag Suspension to the rear leaf springs)

Due to the vehicle being fitted with a factory rear Diff Lock, I thought that the noise may be being caused by the Diff Lock. The Diff Lock cannot be actuated unless the vehicle is in Low Range, which I have never been in. I put the vehicle into Low Range and then actuated the Diff Lock and spun the back wheels with the result of no more noise. I then unlocked the Diff and the noise reappeared. I contacted the Mackay dealership and booked the vehicle in for a check. Originally I spoke to a Service Mechanic and was informed that there was no factory Diff Lock fitted to the Tritons, to which I replied that there were. After a further checks he then informed me that I was right. I asked if it was right to drive until the booked check date and was told yes.

On the day of the Diff check, I received a phone call from the Mackay Dealership, saying that they had never encounted this problem before, but had placed another Triton up on the hoist, and it made the same noise, so there was nothing to worry about. They also informed me that they dropped the oil out of the Diff and checked for signs of metal, but there were none. They said that they have never heard of any problems with the Diffs fitted to the Tritons, and the vehicle would be ok.

Due to planning a Trip to WA soon, towing an "Off Road Camper" I am hoping that a more serious problem will not arise doing the Trip. Has anybody else that owns a late Model Triton fitted with a factory Diff Lock, ever had the same problem or heard the noise, or could a person that owns the same type of vehicle as myself, check that the same noise is coming from his or her vehicle.

I would really appreciate to hear from fellow Mitsubishi (Triton) enthusiasts whether this is or is not a problem with the Diff.

Thank you,
RJC / Mackay

Last edited by rjc1955; 08-17-2010 at 06:11 AM.