Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Engine Rebuild (engine won't start)

Old 01-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Default Engine Rebuild (engine won't start)

I have replaced the head on my 1988 supra. (turbo) I just got the engine all back together, but it won't start. I pulled the spark plug out after I cranked over, and it had a bunch of fuel on it... so that's okay... Then I turned the car over with the spark plug out, and that is okay... and I stuck my finger in the spark plug hole, and cranked it and got compression. So I have the 3 main things I need to start the engine, but it won't start I am pretty sure the timing is good.... The crank is at 0 degrees, piston 1 is TDC , and the cam gears are aligned. Crank position sensor is lined up too...(the drilled hole in the output spinning gear is aligned to the notch in the stationary gear) So… yesterday I tried pull starting it because I heard that if a car has been overheated, then the rings usually stick to the pistons and you lose compression and when you crank it, it does not build enough compression to actually start. So I pulled it around the parking lot with the 3000gt and my buddy tried to pop start it at 30 mph in 3rd gear, the engine turned over (but did not start) and the turbo was spooling up, but I did not get the engine to start. Any suggestions???

Old 01-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned
Default RE: Engine Rebuild (engine won't start)

Did you check for spark? First off get a REAL compression tester and test it. Is it spitting and trying to kick over or what? Did you torque the head down to spec? YOU SURE the cam is in the right spot?

Old 01-31-2006, 10:37 AM

It is not spitting at all. It is just cranking and not even attempting to sputter. The head is torqued to the right specs along with the camshafts. The cams can only be put on one way due to the way the cam gears are made. The only thing that I didn't really try is to get a REAL compression tester.
And about the spark... I took all the spark plugs out, unplugged the injectors, and laid out all the sparkplugs on the valve covers while they were connected. I turned on the key (not cranking over, just in the on postion) and spun the cam position sensor. The spark was bright blue and strong in the right firing sequence.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

How is the motor spinning over, does it sound like theres compression? Get a feeler gauge and check the valve adjustment. They might be to tight and not allowing the valves to close all the way. I'm not positive I have never had a supra head apart, just a MR2 head, which is very similar. Also a easier way to kill the injectors would be to just pull the EFI fuse. Let me know how the compression test goes. Good luck

Old 01-31-2006, 05:25 PM

Did you follow the manufactures specification when you torqued the head? There is a pattern that must be followed or you can warp the head. Are you 100% sure that it was all fuel in the cyclinder? As stated before, use a compression tester and double check the firing pattern for your model.

JC