Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

engine stalls when put in drive or reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Default engine stalls when put in drive or reverse

I have a 94 eclipse with a 1.8 & auto tranny. The engine fires right up and stays running in park or neutral, but when it's placed in any other gear it stalls.When the car is coasting and put in drive it shifts thru all gears and when it stops the engine stalls. I did replace the torque converter, but it didn't help. Any advice would be apreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Default RE: engine stalls when put in drive or reverse

you posted in the wrong place, try the eclipse threads or pm a mod and see if they can move it for you.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

actually this is a technical question that he requires help with .....therefore the name of the section "tech help"

Old 03-31-2006, 02:06 PM

I'm no expert, but, um... it sounds like his transmission is shot? lol

Old 04-01-2006, 10:08 AM

sounds like the torque converter clutch solonoid. DEFINATLY is if you are coming to a stop and the engine stalls. just my $0.02

Old 04-02-2006, 05:08 PM

Hey I had that same problem with my car. Somehow when you don't get a good enough connection on your battery post, there isn't enough amps rolling through there so the car wants to shut off. If you have a/c and turn does your car definately shut off when on the streets, but if you are on the hway does it run strong? Just a question cause i had the same problem with mine. Just make sure that your cables are on very tight.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtwagon

you posted in the wrong place, try the eclipse threads or pm a mod and see if they can move it for you.
ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

actually this is a technical question that he requires help with .....therefore the name of the section "tech help"
Ya, but to further help this guy, or better yet himself, he should have included a Year and Model in the subject line so others would know without having to read his post.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:54 PM

you were right magnet it was the tcc. thanks alot

Old 04-04-2006, 08:13 PM

wow...good guess! naw..I actually owned a shop years ago and have seen that MANY times, glad I could help ya out!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:27 AM

I have a Mitsubishi ES 2003 that is stalling when at about 800rpm in drive, reverse and park. At traffic lights, and at other stops, the only way to keep the engine running is to keep the rpm at about1000 in park. Otherwise the car runs well. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Quick Reply: engine stalls when put in drive or reverse