Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust system help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Default exhaust system help

I have a 95 eclipse turbo and whenever it gets to the temp it is supposed to be the car begins to back fire, sputters and then dies. I am able to restart it again but as soon as I put it into gear to go, putting my foot on the clutch it dies again. I have taken it to 4 mechanics here in my home town but they don't know what it is. Someone told me it could be my oxygen sensor. Pleas help me as much as possible. Thanks to all.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:44 AM
pc
Default RE: exhaust system help

This is an interesting problem. Hopefully a few people here will apply their experience and knowledge. If you solve it get back and let this forum know.
First do you have OBDII or OBDI? Because I think we need to see if you are getting any codes.
I doubt it is your Oxy Sensor. It is obviously an engine temp related problem, but not necessarily related to the operation of the fuel/air management. For instance, could be a coil problem that starts when the coil gets hot. An engine totally dieing would not indicate a problem with one cylinder. I had a similar problem years ago on a 260Z and it turned out to be the coil. I finally figured it out myself as the mechanics then could not trace it either. Coils are cheap enough to try as well. If you're not getting any codes then I would not look at a temp sensor. It also seems to happen only when the engine is under load. Can you confirm this? Will it idle ok? Think about when and how it happens and give us some more info if you can.
You should edit your subject, this is not an exhaust problem.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:27 PM

Once the engine is hot enough it doesn't even want to idle. Alot of the time it will back fire and the car shakes so bad that it looks as if the engine is going to fall out. I followed the fix it manul and it said to detach the negative battery terminal for 10minutes and then check the codes by how many times the check engine light blinked only it hasn't come back on yet. It didn't even come on when the car began to backfire and died. Someone said that it could be my Turbo I am not sure what to think on this because all 4 mechanics assured me that the turbo and clutch have nothing to do with the problem, I thought it was the clutch at first becuase it will only die if the clutch is depressed for to long. and after it dies once it has trouble maintaining a good idle and will not stay started after that.
Also someone told me it could be a vaccum problem.

Old 05-29-2005, 09:18 AM
pc

Well from what you describe it could be a vacuum leak but the leak should be there even when cold if the leak is from a disconnected or cracked vac line and I've never seen vacuum leaks cause backfires. Its a simple matter to check all all your vacuum lines for cracks and breaks. Can you keep it from from stalling by giving it gas in neautral? Sometimes loose intake connections or cracks can open up when the engine is hot. If you can keep it running after it is hot take a spray can of carburetor cleaner with the spray tube and spray it around the intake connections and manifolds, not the exhaust. See if the rpms increase when doing this. If it increases and runs better you have a leak somewhere.
It really sounds to me like you are not getting the fuel to ignite properly. Raw fuel is then sent into the exhaust and when a you do get some ignition it fires the fuel in the exhaust causing a backfire. Your original post seemed to say the car only does this when under load. Your statement about the car stalling when you depress the clutch really confuses me. And now you say it does this whether under load or not. Do you have a single coil on this car or is it a coil pack?