Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first upgrades...???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Default first upgrades...???

Hey everybody, i have a 99' Mits Eclipse GS 10th Edition. i pretty much have all of my cosmetics done to the outside (for now) with a balistics (drift) style body kit, and a carbon fiber hood. However im looking to start on the most important thing... UNDER the hood! I'm kinda lost on what to do first though, im thinking about going for the mods that help the car breath, Cold Air Intake, Header, and Exhaust. but after that im lost. also do you have any suggestions on names on either of those upgrades i mentioned??? ALSO does anybody know where i can get a 14. Alternator so i can power my JL Audio Amps??? thanks everybody

Old 07-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Default RE: first upgrades...???

Do you really like the GS? If you are really looking to make a fast car, you will spend a lot more money, time, and will cause more frustration trying to get the most out of your non-turbo engine. It would be easier to start with a GS-T and work form there. Or if you want to keep the GS, yes, go with intake, exhaust, headers, and i don't know if you like nitrous? Would you consider adding a turbo and intercooler to it? How many miles are on your car?

Old 07-27-2005, 03:08 PM

it's not a matter of if i want to add a turbo and intercooler, it's a matter of when!! yes i do want to keep my GS, i've already got the kit on it and i think it will be more fun fixing it up from "scratch" the car has 95000 miles on it. do you think it would be wise to do an engine swap on it evenually?? and yes, nitrous is in the picture.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:29 PM

Hey guys. I'm with you Ron. I just bought a 2003 Eclipse Spyder and I'm looking for engine upgrades. Unfortunatley, I'm not familiar with the whole process and what name brands are good and exactly what I should do. I know I am going to put a Turbo on it but I haven't had any luck searching online for one compatible with my car as with an exhaust system....any suggestions out there? Also, what are the next steps I need to take in gaining HP? Thanks for anything you can offer.

Lacey

Old 07-27-2005, 04:59 PM

well if your gonna stick with the GS, I think after intake & exhaust a lot of people would put on a pulley system. You could play with fuel/air mixture a bit, but you will only get so much out of it untill you get it perfect. From there, it's building your engine to be light and strong. A lot more options will free up when you get the turbo on. You could also get rid of dead weight in the car if you want to get any edge you can like a spare or backseat. Goodluck, and let us know what you end up doing. Oh, and as far as the engine swap, do you intend on holding onto the car for a long time? If so, maybe it would be smart to invest in a newer/new engine maybe allready turboed. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2005, 05:02 PM

Well if your planning a turbo I wouldn't bother with getting a I/H/E. Save your money and get the turbo kit. Your going to end of replacing all of that when you go turbo.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: BlackWidow

Hey guys. I'm with you Ron. I just bought a 2003 Eclipse Spyder and I'm looking for engine upgrades. Unfortunatley, I'm not familiar with the whole process and what name brands are good and exactly what I should do. I know I am going to put a Turbo on it but I haven't had any luck searching online for one compatible with my car as with an exhaust system....any suggestions out there? Also, what are the next steps I need to take in gaining HP? Thanks for anything you can offer.

Lacey
Get this kit. Alot of good things I hear about this turbo kit for the 6G72...
http://www.tearstone.com/portal/inde...=com_frontpage

Old 07-27-2005, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the help Prophet! I can't wait to get started! I decided to go with engine upgrades before body kits. What good is it looking pretty on the outside if it's not mean on the inside. [8D] I'll keep you updated.

BTW, what about an exhaust system...any suggetions?

Thanks again,

Lacey

Old 07-28-2005, 02:13 AM

thanx for all the tips guys, i went to the local performance shop today (show zone) and all the guys were telling me that unles i wanted an entire new front end or take EVERYTHING out, get a new engine, and then put all new parts back in to suit the new engine then im not gettin a new one b/c there isn't really one out there that is more powerful that will fit in my engine compartment... kinda sux but hey i'll work with what i have. yea i heard that i would end up losing the new upgraded I/H if i got a turbo so im not gonna bother w/ that but i am gonna dual out my exhaust so i have some kind of decent sound coming out of it. after that it's saving for the turbo. the show zone guy said that i can get a stage 2 turbo, with everythin i need, intercooler, bov, everything with gauges for 4400. so i better get started saving up. does anybody have any suggestions of things i can do before then, i was reading about fuel filters today and how dirty they can get in a short time and was thinking about swapping it out, are there "performance" fuel filters out there?? if so, any brand suggestions?

Old 07-28-2005, 03:05 AM

ORIGINAL: BlackWidow

Thanks for the help Prophet! I can't wait to get started! I decided to go with engine upgrades before body kits. What good is it looking pretty on the outside if it's not mean on the inside. [8D] I'll keep you updated.

BTW, what about an exhaust system...any suggetions?

Thanks again,

Lacey
Exhaust I would get it custom made. There is no cat back avaiable for a turbo charged engine. They are running 2.5. You have a V6 and to turbo charge that I would go at least with 3 inch piping. Find a shop that does manderal bending and the pick a univeral muffler.

Quick Reply: first upgrades...???