Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! Getting screwed at the shop!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Default HELP!!!! Getting screwed at the shop!

So, I bought my second 3000 gt the other day.... New clutch and race 5 speed japanese tranny. Well, the idiot that installed the new clutch didn't turn the fly wheel So, clutch burnt up.

NOW THE SCOOP:

Had the flywheel, throw out bearing, clutch assembly and pressure plate replaced.... 754.00 bill.... Got the car back and drove it home, about a 24 mile trip. Went to put it into reverse.... GRINDING! ****, so I turned it off, put it in reverse... fired it up and backed up.... With the car running tried to get it out of reverse, clutch in and.... NOTHING! IT was stuck. Off goes the car again to put it in neutral..... THAN, I tried with the car running and clutch down, wouldn't go into any gear! Just GRINDING! And the smell of a burning up clutch again So, turned it off.... put it in first, facing UP hill and fired her up.... CLUTCH STILL in she started going up hill, on her own!!!!! If I'd put the clutch down and try to brake, the car died... as if the clutch were still partially engaged.... Took the damn thing back to the shop.... got it back after I was told it had to be my HYDRAULIC system.... he changed out the slave cylinder... 100.00 for that! Drove it.... after about 5 minutes the bitch is doing the same crap over again! Won't go into gear while running.... and is partially engaged if I stop... so the car shakes and dies. I CAN'T AFFORD WASTING MORE CASH! The mechanic said he is astonished and can't think of what the hell it could be.... NOW THE 3RD CLUTCH this month is going in! BUT WHAT'S CAUSING THIS **** TO HAPPEN!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, any help!?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned
Default RE: HELP!!!! Getting screwed at the shop!

The clutch isn't disengaging correctly. There is nothing actually wrong with the car, and I would also share this with the shop owner and see what he has to say. Anyone that runs a reputable shop with half a ****ing brain knows you can't pull that ****.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 PM

I get that part... he's a family friend of MANY years, and I know he's not trying to screw me. He gets almost teary eye'd when apologizing for the car. THE QUESTION IS, what could make it NOT disengage correctly?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

If he over extended the rod on the slave, it could be blocking off the bypass release valve, causing the clutch not to auto adjust correctly. I know that 1990-1999 Eclipses are like that, but I'm not sure your transmission is set up the same way.

The only other thing I can think of, is perhaps there is crap in the hydraulic lines.

I hope your transmission isn't damaged too bad.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Tranny is new????? I'm going nuts without my car!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Any other ideas? It did this prior to the slave being replaced! So I'm doubting that. BUT, thanks to all that are trying to help!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Banned

Well there is something wrong with the hydraulics. There has to be a reason why its not fully disengaging. It could be crappy fluid, or a bad master cylinder, or you need to adjust the rod on the cylinder more, or you need to adjust the pedal more to push the rod in further.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 PM

I will bring all of this up to him tomorrow morning, thanks and I will keep you posted.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 PM

So after slave was replace.... STILL F'ING UP.... talked to some tranny and clutch people. First they thought the tranny sychros were out... but if I rev the car just right on the highway I can still go into gear fine... that is what I do when the clutch is f'ing up. So they said that it can't be the tranny. Only thing left to replace is the MASTER.... Any other ideas?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Try adjusting the clutch pedal. Does it feel like the clutch is fully disengaging when you press it.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Getting screwed at the shop!