Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

How do you test a Mass Air Flow Sensor

Old 02-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Default How do you test a Mass Air Flow Sensor

How do you test a MAF sensor. I have located it just outside the air filter but have no idea how to know if the code I'm getting on it is legit or not.
Dad

Old 02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Default RE: How do you test a Mass Air Flow Sensor

only way i can think of is put another one in its place and see if you have the same symptoms..........

Old 02-08-2005, 10:00 PM

The Maf Sensor on DSM's is hard to diagnose without proffesional equipment, since it's a Karmann-Vortex Unit and sends a frequency signal to the ECU. You can intercept the signal, but i'm not sure if how you'd check it or what you'd compare it against. Easiest thing to do is like what 1398 said, just get another MAF and replace it. 2G eclipse Mafs should bolt up to your engine, and you can get them for really cheap on Ebay or DSMtrader.com, but check to make sure they're are compatible, as i'm not 100% sure.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:49 AM

I priced a new one today at O'Reillys. $220.00!! For that kinda cash, we gotta find a way to test this one before replacing it. I've been doing some reading about how those MAF's work. I did not realize those things are so complex, just like you described. No wonder they cost so much. My mechanic is wondering if the engine temp sensor the ECM reads (which is probably not the one the dashboard reads) is bad so the ECM thinks the engine is always hot and therefore won't let it fast idle.
Dad

Old 02-13-2005, 03:29 PM

what are the problems with the car.........

Old 02-13-2005, 11:13 PM

The car is difficult to start in that it takes about 5 or 6 cranks to get it running. Then it will only run at slow idle and dies if you step on gas for the first one or two minutes. There is no fast idle when starting the car. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon running some diagnostic procedures provided my mechanic from the alldatapro website. All but one test came back normal and I'm not sure if it's really off or not. It involves the voltage going to the ICS motor. The ICS motor is running any time the ignition is on and the engine is not running . Can't hear it when the engine is running. As of this afternoon, if I am understanding the error codes properly, I am getting codes 13, 15, 21 and 25.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:24 AM

Nice forum if you would like information on any ofthe cars and troubleshooting, fixits or owners and service manuals on CD like the professional use and what you get with a new car, you can click the link underneath. Leroy

Old 04-16-2005, 07:35 PM

13, 15, 21, 25 were the codes that I got right before my computer pooped out. It would start rough, run rough until it warmed up, and even when I changed the Mass air it was still there. In the Haynes manual it also shows you how to test the MAF by using a multimeter on the prongs of the sensor. Anyway, eventually the car just quit running and I ended up changing the computer and it was back to normal.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:30 PM

I'm not trying to high jack this post, I just didn't want to start a new thread if this question has already been covered a hundred time.

New member here that just joined today to help my nephew with his 96 Eclipse spider.

Can someone tell me what problems can develop if a 96 Eclipse 2.4L is driven with the MAF missing?
My nephew bought this car last fall and the previous owner had made some mods to the engine bay and suspension. Unfortunatly most of these mods have resulted in damage to the car. The stock air filter box is missing along with the MAF. In its place is an aftermarket tube coming off the throttle body with a cone filter on the end. My nephew, who is 17, calls it a "cold air intake" but it takes its air from inside the engine compartment. I told him the stock intake was more cold air than this thing.

Anyway, MAF is missing but he has been driving it for months with no problems he is telling me about.
Check engine light is not on, but maybe previous owner removed the bulb to sell the car, I haven't check yet.
I've asked him to write down the mileage when he fills up with gas so I can see if the mpg is around normal or way off, but he has not done it yet. He's 17, he just gets in and drives, lol.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:39 PM

are you sure the maf is missing? the car would not run period if it had no way of measuring the amount of air coming in, thats how it decides on how much fuel to inject.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you test a Mass Air Flow Sensor