Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Mass Air Flow Sensor and Bad Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Default Mass Air Flow Sensor and Bad Service

Hello folks. I'm new to the forum. I recently had a problem with my 2002 Montero Limited. It has 49000 miles on it and recently started missing and skipping, idling rough and low. The problem would come and go and when I took it to a couple of local mechanics, no one could get it to repeat what it was doing. Finally I got a check engine light and took it to my local Mitsubishi dealer for service. The told me it needed new spark plugs. As all of you Montero owners know that's a costly proposition compared to other autos.

Well while there they adjusted my base idle and said all was fine. When my wife picked up the SUV it was still doing the same thing before she even got out of the parking lot. After a short test drive they decided it was the battery and put a new one on. Next day same problem.[:@] At this point I've dropped $500+ on repairs that didn't work.

After a couple of angry phone calls to the General Manager, keeping it for 2 more days and calling them Mitsubishi they finally decide it's the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Replaced at no charge but they made sure to tell me it was a $600 repair normally.

After this mess I'm wondering how accurate is that $600 repair estimate for the sensor? (Are they blowing hot air up my mass air flow sensor?)
Should this have been that difficult to track down?
Should I raise Hell for replacing my spark plugs 11,000 miles before recomended?
Basicly how inept are they?

Old 05-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Mass Air Flow Sensor and Bad Service

$500 for a battery and spark plugs???? Man, good thing you got the MAF for free. Well, he's mostly right, a Brand new MAF is gonna cost about $350, and the *labor[sm=smiley24.gif]* would prolly make it an even $600. It's hard to say whether you should bitch to them about the plugs, for every 1,000 good production cars, there's always gonna be one that's not exactly on par with the rest. I would argue to them that it should be replaced under warranty, it's not your fault the car is broken.....as far as they know!!!

Old 06-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Default RE: Mass Air Flow Sensor and Bad Service

Sounds like you got a bad batch of gas, the rough idle probly from misfiring cylinders. Clean your injectors physically pull them off not that additive ****. Should fix it.