Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Montero SR - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Default Montero SR - Help Needed

Hi all,

I recently bought a 95 Montero SR that had the timing belt jump due to a bad tensioner. Previous owner put a new tensioner on. The engine turned but would not start. It had an exhaust valve bent. Anyway, I took both heads out, sent them to the machine shop, put new valves and seals and reassembled everything back. Getting ready to start and just a "click", no engine turning. Bought a new battery and same thing. Next step was to check the starter. So, I jump wired the starter connectors and the car started. Happy times. At least something, you know.

I unhooked the panel under the dashboard to check the ignition switch. I unhooked the plug and jumped the blue-black and white wires and the engines turn. These two close the circuit for the started only. My assumption is a faulty ignition switch but I can not explain the fact the it crancked when purchased and a month later (yes, it took me a month to put it back together) of just sitting in my garage, it would just not work.

So, I need some advise of what to do next.

Thank you.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Ignition switch....Worn out and was not engaging properly in the Start position. PartsGeek.com carries a lot of OEM parts for these cars. I had great experience working with them. Here is the troubled part:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...on_switch.html