Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Blown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Default Motor Blown?

I was just wondering if there a few tell tale signs that I could test to find out if my motor is blown completely? If it is, could I have it rebuilt and what would it cost approximately? I have a 94' Eclipse GS with the 1.8. Depending on cost, I might drop in the 2.0 but I dont have the money for that right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Motor Blown?

what kinda symptoms you got..........

Old 10-16-2004, 10:30 PM

A few days ago, I was driving along when all of a sudden my temp gauge rose extremely fast and before I really had time to think of what to do, the car was bogging and shut down. After I let it cool down, I tried to drive it back home only to find that the bogging problem got worse. Long story short, I never made it home and when the tow truck driver came, he told me I probably blew the engine. A few days before this I noticed I had a radiator had been low but I had refiled it. I am not sure at this point if the radiator was leaking or if something else was the cause. Well, each time I got it started again, it would drive, and then I could not even get near the appropriate speed for any gear and then it would die out again. Finally, when I got going about 55, it gradually starting slowing down losing power before it finally just died completely and wouldnt start again. The guy with the tow truck said it smelt like I blew out the motor but I am hoping that is not the case.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:44 PM

u probly melted the pistons, in which case you would have to rebuild the whole engine..........., just a note, when it starts to overheart, something is very wrong and i would suggest in the future not driving it at all untill you figure out what the problem is.........

Old 10-18-2004, 12:11 AM

Hopefully the motor's not fried. It sounds like your waterpump went. If it is your motor, I don't know how easy dropping the 4G63 is going to be. The chassis of the 1.8 and 2.0 are slightly different, so I wonder if the motor mount locations are the same. If you're gonna rebuild the engine keep this in mind. You can always turbocharg any motor you have, just lower compression and beef out the internals. The 1.8 revs pretty nicely, so turbocharging it (when the proper internal mods are done) is going to produce one quick revving sleeper.