Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

My 1984 Mitsubishi Starion Front End Got Smashed

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Default My 1984 Mitsubishi Starion Front End Got Smashed

I own a 1984 Mitsubishi Starion, Model A187AMNULF, Engine G54B, Transmission KM132 3534, Serial Number JABC44H2EZ404099, Color Trim & Opt's K16, 340, and A76. It's one of the few rear wheel drives.

A few days ago some one pulled out in front of it and wasted the front end. This car was primo, sold in 1984 for over $11K, traded in 1985 and resold for $10.5K with 1100 miles. The guy who bought it after that drove it some little until he passed away in 1987.

The car sat under a carport from 1987 until 1999. It was then donated to "Father Joe's Village" in late 1999. They couldn't get it running because the gas had turned to varnish. It was auctioned off in sping of 2001 for less than $500.00 with almost 51.000 mile on it. The guy that bought it was a mechanic who wanted to fix it for his daughter.

He pulled and flushed the fuel tank, rebuilt the fuel pump, flushed the fuel lines, changed the filter and put some fuel additive into it. His luck, his daughter won't drive a stick.

He put's it up for sale for $2500.00 with 52,000 miles on it. I test it drive and it runs perfectly. I take it out to an open stretch and get rupper in 3 gears to and start to slow down down at 150mph. I offer him $2K for it and it's mine. I knew it had been sitting since 1987 because the tire warranty was still good for the tires put on in 1987. The only problem is the tires were trash because they're dry rotted and cracked so bad it was amazing they held air. The only thing I've done since then was replace all belts, hoses, flushed or changed all fluids including brakes and rear axle because it sat so long. Then new tires and ceramic lifetime brakes.

Everything external from the front doors forward is gone, hood, both fenders, bumper, air dam, signals/head/fog lights, and every thing else between the license plate and the first crash wall except the A/C is wasted.

The motor is still tight but something is wrong with the electronics or vacume I'm sure. The motor was not moved so the tranny and drive drain are good. I know that for a fact because the fan blade barely touches the radiator. All options (which it had) from the electric mirrows back work including the air conditioning. Custom aluminum rims on the sterring/suspension system which was not damaged. Cooling system is still in tack so the radiator is still good.

Do your guys think the parts are available to fix it since it's one of the rear wheel drive earlier models? How much do you think the car parts are worth if I decided to part it out instead of giving it to the insurance company. Is their any one out there that wants to buy it as is for a decent price? Like I said, it runs and drives. Steering is not damaged and I'm sure the rough engine idle problem is minor. This thing ran like a raped ape before the accident. It got nothing but tender loving care, it never went past 2500 miles before an oil change and the ties were rotated every 5000 miles. Anyone who's an enthusiast and want's a keeper, here it is. All responses about parts or sale are welcome. You can also contact me directly at merlinthecat@earthlin.net or 503-338-4806. My name is Jon.

Can't wait to hear from the rest of the crowd that appreciate a fine vehicle as much as I.

Thanks!