Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

New Balancer/Pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Default New Balancer/Pulley bolt

I just have a quick question about the balancer bolt. We recently had our 01 Montero Sport worked on. The timing belt was done and the mechanic reused the balancer bolt. Well it backed out and the pulley almost came off, and it broke the pin in the cranckshaft timing belt gear. Well he took it back down put in a new pin and put the same used balancer bolt back in again. It backed out again, and broke the pin again. So I went to the dealership and bought a new crankshaft timing gear and a new balancer bolt and installed them. Torqued to 135 ft lbs like it's supposed to be.

With all of that said here's my question. Have any of you heard of or have had a used/original balancer bolt back out, then replaced it with a new one and everything thing be fine from then on? My wife is scared to drive the truck around the block in the neighborhood because of what has happened to her twice while driving it.

I appreciate any insight you guys have. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 AM

I am not of much help but i was wondering if you've had any more problems ? I have a 95 montero, and my crankshaft bolt has gotten loose and now my enging makes a horrible noise, I had it towed home but I reused my same bolt after doing waterpump/ timing belt and havent had any problems till now .

Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 AM

No after replacing the balancer bolt with a new one we did not have any issues ever again. The first time it came loose we had been driving the truck for probably a month to a month and a half after the timing belt replacement with no problems, but after it came loose the first time and the mechanic tightened it back up with the same old bolt it came back loose within a week or so. That's when I did my research on here and went and bought a brand new one from the dealership, and like I said we never had another issue with it backing out. We actually just got rid of the truck about 3 months ago and bought my daughter a new car, so I don't have it any more. I do miss the truck sometimes, we had it for over 11 years.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Go buy a NEW balancer bolt.