Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

New here, Advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 07:12 AM
Default New here, Advice appreciated!

Just bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander for a great price that has loud and fast clicking/knocking sound coming from the engine bay. No dash lights. Drives fine. Steering is slightly tighter than I’d expect. Previous owner said it has been making the noise for a year or more (seemed like an honest guy but who knows).

The noise goes away (for the most part) at 1500+ rpm. While idling if you turn the steering wheel the noise gets louder and the engine revs itself slightly almost as if its compensating a bit. Its hard to tell for sure but it sounds like its coming from the power steering pump and not inside the motor.

I guess I just want to know if anyone has had this issue or knows if it may be something else? If I were to pop off the serpentine belt and run the motor briefly and the sound went away would this confirm my suspicions? Pretty damn cold where I live up north here so figured i’d post prior to going outside and ****ing around or to a junkyard to try and find a used pump.

thanks for any advice.