Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Default No Fuel

Hey All! I'm new here but here's my problem. My daughter left my 1990 Gallant idling until it ran out of gas. [:@] I put gas in it but it won't start. I don't know if the fuel pump is burned up, if it needs to be primed or if there is a relay for the pump I need to do something with. This is my daily driver so if someone could please help it would be gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance and I'm glad I found this great forum for my car! You all seem to be very helpful and knowledgeable!

Peace!!

Old 12-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Default RE: No Fuel

How much gas did you put in it and how long did you try to start it?

Old 12-12-2005, 01:52 PM

two gallons fresh gas from gas can...tried to start several times. may be air in the fuel line...a mechanic suggested I bang on the gas tank while someone tries to start engine...says may "jump start" the fuel pump. will this work? I know the car was "on" for at least 10 min after the gas ran out. Could really use some good advise. car was working just fine before this.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:53 PM

two gallons fresh gas from gas can...tried to start several times. may be air in the fuel line...a mechanic suggested I bang on the gas tank while someone tries to start engine...says may "jump start" the fuel pump. will this work? I know the car was "on" for at least 10 min after the gas ran out. Could really use some good advise. car was working just fine before this.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:35 AM

try putting more gas in it and check some on line manuals but i dont think your pump went out

Old 12-13-2005, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

No your pump didn't go out. What I recommend is putting a couple more gallons in then turn the key to the ON position (NOT the start position) turn the key off after approximately 2 seconds then turn it on and off again like that 2 more times THEN try starting it. Most vehicles the fuel pump once you turn the key to the ON position will run for approx. 2 seconds to prime the system. Doing this repeatedly will force the pump to prime the line multiple times building the pressure needed to get her started. After that you should be fine. (We always had to do this when we replaced fuel pumps when I worked at the shop to prime the system).

Old 12-18-2005, 12:25 PM

I have now approx 1/3 tank of fuel. got a jump, just to be sure, but still no fuel going into the engine. Took fuel line apart right before entry to engine...tried to start...no fuel coming out. Is there a relay, fuse, or reset for fuel pump. Bumped fuel pump a couple of times while trying to start it....it is a side mount on gas tank. Any suggestions?

Old 12-18-2005, 02:37 PM

When you turn the key to the "on" position can you hear the pump prime? If not then it may very well be the pump. If your pump just went on running after your vehicle died the it probably burned itself out. Fuel pumps are just like any other electric motor in that they heat up during operation. Gasoline obviously keeps the pump cool and if there is no gas... well you get the idea. It's just another possibility, being a 90. I don't know about your specific car, but it happened in a ranger I had in highschool. How hard is it to pull and get a look? I have never had to work with a side mounted pump. Sounds like a pain.

Old 12-25-2005, 02:47 PM

still not able to start, still need to check fuel pump but could it have damaged the computer? still tries to start, just acts like it is not getting any fuel. checked plugs and fuses...no fuel getting to the filter at all.

Old 12-25-2005, 02:54 PM

it looks like i amy have to take out the fuel pump and check it myself. what is entailed? how can i check it properly once it is off? i have been without a car for three weeks and am handicapped. the mechanic was supposed to come all last week, but blew it off. i don't know any mechanics i can trust. be as specific as possible. the gas tank is 1\3 full and the fuel pump is a side mount near the rear wheel well on drivers side.

Quick Reply: No Fuel