Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

number one cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Default number one cylinder

Hello all, trying to work out which is the number one cylinder so I can retime my spacewagon 4G63 sohc engine. Is it the pot nearest the distributor or the one next to the cam sprocket. As I normally work on british motorbikes I dont know where the #1 cylinder is & would much appreciate any help then I can get on & renew the cam belt. All the best Dave

Old 12-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Default RE: number one cylinder

Closest to the timing belt cover (or cam sproket as you mentioned). Good Luck!

Joel, CA

Old 12-13-2005, 07:01 AM

Thank you Joel, now I can get on with the job, Ta Dave

Old 12-14-2005, 01:08 AM

I read your other post about the timing marks. Pay careful attention to the balance shafts! The balance shaft driven by the second small timing belt can be lined up with the mark on the oil pump case with no other steps or proceedures- which is quite easy. The second balance shaft (which also drives the oil pump) that is driven by the main timing belt needs to be both lined up AND TIMED in a certain way- as it only lines up with the cam and crank ever 3 engine revolutions. If you time it perfectly, the result will be high RPM vibrations which is VERY annoying. Remember- if you line it up with the mark on the oil pump case without timing this balance shaft- you will experience vibration.
The fastest way to do it (without having to remove the bolt in the back of the block and stick a screw driver in there - as per FSM) is to spin the gear by hand. When you spin it, you can feel the weighted balance shaft. Give it a quick spin and let it stop on it's own. Check the mark on the gear and see it's position in relation to timing mark on the case. If its lines up with the timing mark on the oil pump , you've hit the mark perfectly. If not- give it another spin. The timing mark on the gear will stop at 3 possible positions- one of which will be perfect with the mark on the oil pump. It's sorta difficult to explain but if you give it a shot, you'll definatly understant what i'm talking about. It may not stop EXACTLY lined up with the mark on the case- however, if the weight of the balance shaft is at the bottom and the mark are close together, that's all you need to do to time the balance shaft. From there, you can line it up with the case when installing the belt. Good Luck and let me know how it works out.

Joel, CA

Old 12-20-2005, 03:49 PM

Thanks Joel

Have taken that on board, am temporarily stuck at the mo' as I am trying to take off engine mount, having taken off cam belt. On my cd manual it says undo the engine mounting bolts in a special order then doesnt say what the order is. so have posted again to see if anyone knows the order. Not sure if the engine mount bolt (88Nm) is undone before the 2 smaller bolts which hold the mount to the engine. will let you know how I get on with the spinning you mentioned above. regards Dave