Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger rear drum has play! How to fix for DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Thumbs down Passenger rear drum has play! How to fix for DIY

Hello there fellow Mitsu's

Last week I had a flat tire, in the process of removing the lugs with a lug wrench I snapped the bolt out of the wheel hub, the nuts were on that tight. So after an expensive tow, torching off the remaining bolt and buying a new rim, I decided it was a good time to do my brakes.

I completed doing the rear shoes and when I put the drum back into place it goes in fine, solid. But when I put the tire back on it moves the drum and thus results in some play in the rum, even with the lugs on tight. Any ideas what could be the cause of the problem? I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. But right now, the lugs go on fine, and the drum has play. When I drive it sounds like a flat tire, but it's the drum scraping the outer housing of where the brakes are. I have full braking, but this knocking sound is worrying me, which I imagine is the sound of it rotating loosely, hitting something else.

The drums are very rusty and corroded on the exterior(Many Newfoundland winters and salt in the air), I don't believe the previous owner took much care too it. Any ideas as to what the problem is/how I can solve it? Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 PM

sounds like a bad wheel bearing what does your manual say ?????