Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

PO302 cylinder 2 misfire detected ? what is this

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006 | 05:17 PM
Default RE: PO302 cylinder 2 misfire detected ? what is this

im sorry, but what does that mean?

Old 10-07-2006 | 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

he means maybe you have a bad computer (ECU)

Old 10-07-2006 | 05:29 PM

how do i find out? and is this really bad? wouldnt it be causing more problems than just that?

Old 10-07-2006 | 05:38 PM
Banned

not really... the ECU is devided into many parts and it may just be that something to do with the ignition part of it is malfunctioning....

Either that or its a loose wire on a sensor or something simple like that.

Old 10-07-2006 | 06:20 PM

hmm wierd. i went outside & popped out the stems, unscrewed the coils again and put them back in & on..... went for a drive and it seems fine again. but ill bet after i get home (which is 45 min from where i work) it would be the same all over again. Soooo frustrated. Called my mechanic again, and he told me he will be in town again next saturday and he would take it somethere to put it on a machine to diagnose it? i guess there is such a machine that would do that..... i dont know. Check engine light has not appeared again yet though....

Old 10-07-2006 | 06:29 PM
Banned

ok so you know the problem lies some place in there...

Old 10-07-2006 | 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like just a bad connection then.

Old 10-11-2006 | 07:21 PM

I hope it is minor i wont get it to the mechanic until friday. Been worried all week. whats the worst thing it can be?other than the sputter it runs fine. someone told me to to get a sprayt bottel and wet it (the coils while its running at night, and if it is the coils again they will spark. Also someone else told me it may be calcium deposits on the motor. This guy said to disconect the vacume hose while running at full operation, then run the vacume hose into a big bucket of water & let it suck up the water repeatedly 3-4 times till the problem goes away , and he also said not to do this if i had a turbo engine...... i dont know...

Old 10-11-2006 | 07:49 PM

Well...I might be talking out of school here,but I had a Talon with a 420A engine that kept popping the code for "timing belt one or more teeth off" after going over my installation three times I figured it was a brain fart,and took it to a local shop,had them re-time the belt,and the code still came back...what I had done originally was fine,but it cost me 400 bucks to find out...anyway the problem eventually WAS the computer,and after getting a reman one for 40.00 it fixed the problem.The problem with the 420a is that once the ecm sees a problem(or what it thinks is a problem) it reverts to "limp Mode" this takes the camshaft sensor out of the equation,and fires the engine from crankshaft timing only........Id take a chance on a remanufactured computer,and if THAT dont fix it once and for all,Id look at a timing belt replacement,the interval for the 4 bangers is 60,000 miles,and granted its only showing #2 misfire right now,but that may be because its the weakest cylinder compression wise of the others,which might be indicative of valve train slack....Hope this sheds some light on the subject

Old 10-11-2006 | 10:37 PM

so, if it is the computer how does the mechanic know that? by hooking it up to a machine? because i have already tahkenit ti auto zone when the chek engine light comes on, and it reads the same message every time. And just how expensive is a computer for a car like mine? mits. eclipse gs? im sure it is outrageous. like i said i have had both coils replaced, the plugs, and the wires. The first thing we replaced was the plugs, thinking i would correct the problem. its driving me crazy!

Quick Reply: PO302 cylinder 2 misfire detected ? what is this