Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

problem...

Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Default problem...

k so my 97 rs attempts tooverheat when im stopped...its only for long periods of time like 10 15 min when the car is runnin (obviously lol)i figured it was jst b/c its not getin air but the fan still kicks on...it dont do it when im drivin...can you help me out?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: problem...

Could be a couple of things, first check your coolant level and try replacing your thermostat.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 AM

the coolant level is fine, it actually happend to me last night again i was talkin to a guy and he said your car is smokin a lil bit and i looked and it was getin hot so as soon as i grabbed the key to shut it off anti-freeze started shootin out of the overflow....i checked my thermostat and it is fine...i guess the simple thing to do would be not let my car run for long periods of time...duh lol

Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

You not gonna be able to tell if the therostat is good by looking at it. You might want to do a compression test to rule out headgasket...does the car blow any smoke out of the exhaust?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Ther's another thing to tell whether your headgasket is blown. A pressure is building up excessively in the cooling system while you drive (rubber hoses get real stiff and bulging, you may stop and pop the hood to check this condition). Moisture out exhaust pipe, you can actually add some traceable fluid into coolant and see if it appears out exhaust, same idea they use for tracing leaks in air conditioning and other systems. You need a UV light and a marker fluid. I had very similar problem in one of my cars and all went away once I replaced the head gasket. The problem was visible on the old gasket as a tiny bridge developed betweencylinders. Be sure to resurface your cyl. head when removed and get quality head gasket to replace the old with. Good luck. Keep us posted on results.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

An old school way to knowyou have a bad head gasket is to pull the pressure cap off while its running and see if you have exessive amount of bubbles coming to the surface.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 AM

i checked the thermostat by takin it out and putin it in boilin water my mechanic told me that was the best way to check it....i used the old school way and no ubbles were coming out... it doesnt blow smoke it runs like theirs nothing wrong with it...its not really a big problem ive jst heard of other people havin this problem with dsm'sand no one knows what it is...

Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 AM

check to see if you have blow by open your oil dipstick and see how much pressure is going trew the tube.

Search this Thread