Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Everything else (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/)
-   -   Several problems (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/several-problems-35148/)

99gsexy 02-22-2010 09:46 PM

Several problems

Hello everyone,

I have a few problems that I hope someone can help me with. I have a 1999 Mitsu Eclipse GSX.

1. Blackish smoke coming out of the exhaust after a while of idling + a slow oil leak under engine = Bad head gasket?

2. My ABS AntiLock Light came on at the same time my car started to overheat. The light will turn off randomly and when it does the temp gauge seems to drop to normal, but creeps back up and the ABS light comes back on. Any thoughts?

3. Got a new alternator + battery a few months ago, but the car idles low and usually the battery light is on when I start up the car, then goes away after reving the engine. Electrical problem?

Any help that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TheEngineer 02-24-2010 07:42 AM

1. blackish smoke coming out of the exhaust after a while of idling + a slow oil leak under engine = Bad head gasket?

burning oil. Probably bad valve stem seals.

2. My ABS AntiLock Light came on at the same time my car started to overheat. The light will turn off randomly and when it does the temp gauge seems to drop to normal, but creeps back up and the ABS light comes back on. Any thoughts?

are you sure its the ABS. Because overheating and abs are totally different.

3. Got a new alternator + battery a few months ago, but the car idles low and usually the battery light is on when I start up the car, then goes away after reving the engine. Electrical problem?

Check the battery terminals for corrosion

99gsexy 02-24-2010 03:49 PM

Thank you for the reply.

ABS is probably different, it might have been a coincidence. I felt the pressure of the radiator hose and it was hard, so i'm thinking its my thermostat. I got a new one and i'll throw it on tomorrow.

As for my battery terminals, you are right they are corroded. Should I replace them, or is there another underlying problem?

Thank you again.

TheEngineer 02-24-2010 04:20 PM

i would just replace them. You can get new terminals cheap at autozone.

99gsexy 02-27-2010 02:33 AM

Okay, swapped out the thermostat... Still overheating. I did notice that when I have the vent air on, both fans kick on periodically, which bring the temperature down to normal. The fans won't kick on until the vent is on. Any suggestions?

dsm1990gsx 02-27-2010 08:45 AM

Sounds like a bad fan switch, mine went bad on my 1g and in stop an go traffic it would overheat a bit.

MitsMaster 03-04-2010 10:08 PM

There is a sensor in the bottom tank of the radiator. It has two wires. When the temp guage is above normal unplug the radiator sensor a jump the two wires together, the fans should turn on. If they come on replace the sensor. If they dont, unplug the fan harness connectors and look for melting or heat damage in the connectors. If that is fine you may need to check the relay.