Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Several problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Default Several problems

Hello everyone,

I have a few problems that I hope someone can help me with. I have a 1999 Mitsu Eclipse GSX.

1. Blackish smoke coming out of the exhaust after a while of idling + a slow oil leak under engine = Bad head gasket?

2. My ABS AntiLock Light came on at the same time my car started to overheat. The light will turn off randomly and when it does the temp gauge seems to drop to normal, but creeps back up and the ABS light comes back on. Any thoughts?

3. Got a new alternator + battery a few months ago, but the car idles low and usually the battery light is on when I start up the car, then goes away after reving the engine. Electrical problem?

Any help that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

1. blackish smoke coming out of the exhaust after a while of idling + a slow oil leak under engine = Bad head gasket?

burning oil. Probably bad valve stem seals.

2. My ABS AntiLock Light came on at the same time my car started to overheat. The light will turn off randomly and when it does the temp gauge seems to drop to normal, but creeps back up and the ABS light comes back on. Any thoughts?

are you sure its the ABS. Because overheating and abs are totally different.

3. Got a new alternator + battery a few months ago, but the car idles low and usually the battery light is on when I start up the car, then goes away after reving the engine. Electrical problem?

Check the battery terminals for corrosion

Old 02-24-2010, 03:49 PM

Thank you for the reply.

ABS is probably different, it might have been a coincidence. I felt the pressure of the radiator hose and it was hard, so i'm thinking its my thermostat. I got a new one and i'll throw it on tomorrow.

As for my battery terminals, you are right they are corroded. Should I replace them, or is there another underlying problem?

Thank you again.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

i would just replace them. You can get new terminals cheap at autozone.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 AM

Okay, swapped out the thermostat... Still overheating. I did notice that when I have the vent air on, both fans kick on periodically, which bring the temperature down to normal. The fans won't kick on until the vent is on. Any suggestions?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a bad fan switch, mine went bad on my 1g and in stop an go traffic it would overheat a bit.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:08 PM

There is a sensor in the bottom tank of the radiator. It has two wires. When the temp guage is above normal unplug the radiator sensor a jump the two wires together, the fans should turn on. If they come on replace the sensor. If they dont, unplug the fan harness connectors and look for melting or heat damage in the connectors. If that is fine you may need to check the relay.