Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

should I take a chance ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Default should I take a chance ?

Hi, I have a 95 eagle summit which as most of you know is identical in every way to a 95 mirage. so here is my problem, I broke a timing belt at 70 mph on the interstate and after getting it towed home I changed the timing belt still won't start, and I did a compression test but I came up with 0 on all 4 cylinders so I'm not sure if I performed the test right or not. So I checked for spark and it is not getting any, and after doing a little research I found that among other sensors built in the distributor there are the camshaft and crank shaft sensors, and I figure that when the timing belt broke those sensors went bad also. Now I know that this is a interference engine the Mitsubishi 1.5L 4G15 when the belt broke I did not here anything loud or anything just lost power and that was it. So the thing I was wondering about taking a chance on is buying a new distributor, the cheapest one I can find is on e-bay for $124.00 the auto parts stores around here the cheapest was $234.00 I guess what I would like to know is it 100% that I have bent valves or is it a very slight chance that I might have gotten lucky ? years ago I broke a timing belt on a 1976 buick skylark fixed the belt and drove that thing thousands of miles after, I was unable to find out if that car had a interference engine it was a 3.8L V6 anyhow if anyone has any info or advice thank you. Glenn in Virginia by the way no matter what I am going to get another Mitsubishi Mirage even if my eagle has fallen off of her Summit. The car has been really a very good one, just should have changed that timing belt