Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Block Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Default Small Block Chevy

So I've been tossing around the idea of finding a cheap sporty car and dropping a built small block chevy setup in it. I am not familiar with eclipse's at all. All i know is i test drove a 97 TSI (i think that's what is was) years ago and loved the AWD take off.

Well, i found a 98 GST Turbo Spyder for cheap. I know they're fast from the factory. I know there are mods that will make it much faster, handle better, etc. I'm looking to build something unusual, and that leads me to my question.

Is it even an option to drop a small block chevy into a 98 eclipse? Really, the answer is as simple as telling me if the tranny is on the side of the engine, or in the back?

Before the flames begin, Yes, i know nothing about Eclipse's other than what 60 minutes of reading this forum have taught me. I did search, found no results. That leans me toward this not being an option, but I wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Small Block Chevy

Anything is possible. However this is no direct swap by any means. It would require large amounts of fabrication and even then im not totally sure the motor would even fit in there. I wouldnt even bother trying it. The motor that comes in the turbo eclipses is a great motor. So there isnt a reason to swap it out. They can make plenty of power and run good times at the track with minimal mods

Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

Like TheEngineer said. There is no direct, easy black and white way to do it. However i have actually seen it done. Again like he said, with enough fabrication and money, anything is possible.

However, making the car all wheel drive with a small block V8 may not be so easy/possible. That has NEVER been done.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:57 PM

yea, i dont think that AWD v8 thing is gonna work at all. i think the 1gs are the ones that get swapped with v8s the most but a car they make kits for is like a 240z 280z datsun

Old 09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

Actually i have seen a 2g : )

Old 09-17-2007, 08:11 PM

To answer your question yes it is possible but to hook the eclipse tranny up to it i dont think it is but with a v8 in there you would want to drop an auto tranny in there with a stall converter as far a the awd with a setup like that who needs the awd but yes you can take a chevy awd setup and fab it in there but like everyone is saying its not easy many fabs need done brackets and such as far as the room i believe there is just enough where you dont have to cut too much but it would be tight i highly encourage this and if you are interested i work with someone who knows chevys backwards in his sleep if you need help in doing something like that PM me and i can let him know he likes to help people out he has a real nice camero he just rebuilt the motor for so if you are serious let me know

Old 09-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

Ofcourse you wouldnt use a DSM tranny... .you think?

Chevy has a freakin AWD system?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 PM

yea chevy has an AWD system?????[sm=bling.gif]

Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Thx for the feedback. I assumed it would be a challenge, and after a bit more research, I think it's more than i'm looking to bite off.

As for the datsun 240/260/280Z comment, that is exactly the type of car / project i'm looking for. I have a family member with a 240Z/sbc setup and want to get a similar project started to keep a fire under his, and my butt to finish it.

Funnything is, i saw a rust free 280Z with a for sale sign in it on my way to work this morning. still debating if i should pick that up or not. I'd really like to find something a bit more unusal than that.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

Those things ROCK. DO IT!

Quick Reply: Small Block Chevy