Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start up from cold.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Default Start up from cold.

I have a Spacestar and gather that fuel injected Mitsu engine start up systems all work on the same principal?
It doesn't appear to be working properly, as if on an earlier type engine the choke isn't coming on.
Not being an electronics buff I don't know where to start looking and know that even a workshop manual would be very vague.
Is there an expert or someone who's had a similar problem here who can help me please?

Old 11-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Default RE: Start up from cold.

Hey Mr Engineer man, can you help me?

Old 11-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

i didnt really understand what was happening with the car. So your saying that its not starting. Is the car trying to turn over at all?

Old 11-21-2006, 12:09 PM

Hi Engineer, so you don't know what the choke did/does on cars with carbs? OK I understand that, maybe it has another name on your side of the pond.

Starting from cold the engine doesn't run to warm up at higher revs than normal, apparently because of a fault with the 'cold start' system, which these days with fuel injection is controlled electronically.

My question simply is, what part of the 'abominable' electronic system controls this cold start?

Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 PM

your question is a bit odd..
is your car not warming up, or not starting correctly when cold?

Old 11-22-2006, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

your question is a bit odd..
is your car not warming up, or not starting correctly when cold?
That would be a yes to both questions more or less MB, I seriously thought I had described the fault well enough, sorry for the confusion.
Starting from cold an engine normally runs at slightly higher revs using less air, as per the old choke method until the engine is warm, at which time it allows the full airflow to enter?
On fuel injected engines it is operated electronically.
I'm simply asking if anyone knows which part of the electronic system controls this action?

Old 11-27-2006, 02:12 PM

It's disappointing to note that there doesn't appear to be anyone here who seems to know much about electronic systems.
Does anyone have an idea where or who I might contact for advice on this problem, or is the only possibility a trip to the main Mitsu agent?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

ok i kinda see what your saying know with your question. Sorry i didnt understand but im part of the 'new age' so all that carb stuff is foriegn to me

Ok now that i understand the question i can give you an answer, its called the fast idle air valve (FIAV) that controls it. It will open to let in more air. Yours probably isnt doing this. Its not really a big deal though. What is your rpms at idle

Old 11-29-2006, 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

ok i kinda see what your saying know with your question. Sorry i didnt understand but im part of the 'new age' so all that carb stuff is foriegn to me

Ok now that i understand the question i can give you an answer, its called the fast idle air valve (FIAV) that controls it. It will open to let in more air. Yours probably isnt doing this. Its not really a big deal though. What is your rpms at idle
Yippee and thanks.
The valve is apparently open then and isn't allowing the initial warm up process to happen from cold? Idle is fine when it's warm, around 850-900 it just doesn't idle from cold.
So is the problem electronic or mechanical? If it's mechanical I can fix it, but if it's electronic, I'm lost as to know which part to check, where it lives or even how to check it.

For me personally, car electronics have taken over and left the DIY man and us old mechs out in the cold.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

I kinda think it could be either because im sure its electronics that tells the FIAV to turn on, but then again it may be telling it to turn open and the part itself could be broken. So i cant really say. Im not sure where that part is gonna be on your car either

Quick Reply: Start up from cold.