Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting and shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Default RE: Starting and shifting problems

Yeah, it's only hard to start when it's completely cold. Once I get it started though, it'll turn on just fine even up to two hours afterwards. You think it's the spark plug wires?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

well i know there have been so many people on here that just replace the plugs and then come back later saying there problem was a bad wire.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:58 PM

Another thing:

When I did change the spark plugs, I noticed that the original one's were gapped at .44. When I went to Checker to get new one's they said they should be gapped around .28. I kept it at .44 cause I wasn't sure if I should change it. Since it's having a hard time starting could this be the problem? (Kind of a simple answer to these ridicously hard problems I guess)

Old 09-11-2006, 07:59 PM

Okay, scratch the last comment, I fixed the gauges on the spark plugs and it didn't do anything. I'll change the spark plug wires and see where that gets me.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 PM

HELP, HELP, HELP:

So I went to Checker to get some new spark plug wires. THe car was running great, shifting pretty good. I bought them and then returned home, not noticing any differences. When I got home I immediately changed the wires and then went to restart the car. First it wouldn't turn on and then once it did, the exhaust started firing. It would idle around 500 rpms (seriously low, it usually runs around 800) and sounded like ****. What should I do?

Old 09-12-2006, 03:02 AM

Okay, the car is running really weird. It's backfiring and there's a really potent carbon monoxide smell. Do I need to change the O2 sensor? or maybe the catalytic converter? This is a nightmare.....

Old 09-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

are all the wires in the right spots cuz from what im reading you got this problem once you replaced the wires?

Old 09-12-2006, 01:20 PM

Yeah, the wires are fine. I even switched them back to the old ones once I changed them and it's still doing the same thing. It won't drive at all, it'll start but the car isn't getting any gas or something cause once I start accelerating the car will start backfiring and won't drive.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

well for some reason it sounds like your car is misfiring. Its either an ignition problem or a fuel problem and since it seems like youve done most of the ignition stuff then fuel might be the issue. Not sure exactly what though. Im no expert on this stuff, so maybe someone else can give there expert advise. But it sure does sound like misfiring to me

Old 09-13-2006, 04:37 PM

I decided to just call the dealer I bought the car from and see what they would do. They told me to tow the car down and they would fix it for free. That's going to suck for them if I need a new catalytic converter cause that's an expensive part. I'll keep y'all posted

Quick Reply: Starting and shifting problems