Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Find me a cheap spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Default Find me a cheap spoiler

If anybody can find a link for a decent spoiler for a 3g eclipse(preferably aluminum to avoid painting), post it here for me. thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Banned
Default RE: Find me a cheap spoiler

could not you find on ebay?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

I can get you one for free............ OH NO WAIT... the best wing for your car is already on it. Whoops.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Spoiler or wing?

Tunable (i.e. Do you want to control downforce/lift or do you want a 0-effect dress-up)?

Need to be a little more specific in what "decent" means. There's LOTS of aftermarket wings out there and many body kit shops make some pretty nice looking custom spoilers... many of them will even pre-paint it for you if your body is still a stock color.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Banned

Good response ^

Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 AM

ORIGINAL: BellaCroix

Spoiler or wing?

Tunable (i.e. Do you want to control downforce/lift or do you want a 0-effect dress-up)?

Need to be a little more specific in what "decent" means. There's LOTS of aftermarket wings out there and many body kit shops make some pretty nice looking custom spoilers... many of them will even pre-paint it for you if your body is still a stock color.
0 effect dress up

Old 08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Banned

You aren't going to find that...... because anything you put on the back of your car will cause drag.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: XxM4n1aCxX
0 effect dress up
Well, since you mentioned aluminum I'm assuming you're looking for a wing as opposed to a spoiler.

As Sebba pointed out, it's not possible to have true 0-effect since anything you do to the exterior of your car has some impact on performance (increased drag, weight, downforce/lift, etc).

Having said that... what are you looking to spend? There's a ton of "affordable" wings out there.

If you're looking for "0-effect" what's your definition of "decent"? Any crappy bolt-on will put a dress on your car.

What's my recommendation?

Basically, find a wing in your price bracket on eBay and bolt it on. There's no "decent" in style... it's whatever you like. If the worst designed wing in the world looks good to you, strap it on. That's the best part of RICE... it doesn't have to work to be decent... just has to look good to someone and get you noticed. When you're done make sure you apply either/both a NOSand/or Summit Racing decal to your bumper (either automatically gives you a 5 awhp gain).

Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 AM

where can you get a downforce/lift one from and how much do those go for?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: shadowmancer
where can you get a downforce/lift one from and how much do those go for?
Again... Ill assume you mean a wing as opposed to a spoiler.

Controlling lift on a molded spoiler is pretty difficult. Shimming while mounting is probably the only way to control directly, otherwise body modifications like shark fins or canards would be necessary - not really to affect lift/downforce but to increase the spoilers effectiveness.

On a wing; any higher-end wing will have certain amounts of adjustability. It just depends on what youre looking for. Keep in mind that lift/downforce is a direct result of air passing over/under the wing surface (in high volume). If youre looking to dramatically adjust performance youre not going to get enough change to make the cost of a "good" wing worth it at 35 MPH cruising speeds.

On a front wheel drive car, youd be better off using front end canards and/or a splitter. Why try to lift the back-end to put downforce on the front when its easier and less "rice" to control your downforce directly at the front end?

Still, if youre hell-bent on slapping a wing on the back, understand the physics needed to "tune" it, and willing to make whatever body modifications would be needed to make the purchase worth something:

APR Performance (cheap but decent)
http://www.aprperformance.com/index....&Itemid=45

A "higher-end" wing will probably set you back about $600 - $1.5k and will be totally worth it when youre making ansub 9-second quarter mile pass.

Its wonderful to see so many people whove built 9-second cars and who havebeen plauged bya lot of back-end drift and front wheel slip willing to spend the time and money to finish thier builds with a good, high-quality wing. I know my otherwise stock Yugo performed so much better after I glued a wing to the trunk and raced a Koenigsegg the first time... who knew a few pounds of aluminum would make me so much faster.

Quick Reply: Find me a cheap spoiler