1990 Montero NO START HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Default 1990 Montero NO START HELP!!!!

I am at wits end. This love\hate relationship with my rig is getting annoying.
I have a 90 montero, 3.0 V6 with hard start problems. And by hard start I mean its hard to start( 4-5 crank overs) not a rough start. When it starts, it starts fine, normal as if nothing was ever wrong (bastard!). I thought maybe fuel, bought a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, and a new fuel pressure regulator. Got all that on, then ignition coil went out. Fixed that and it started great, till the next morning. And I'm back at square 1. Fuel pressure is there. Could it be a leaking gasket? Slowly letting out compression through the night? I mean what else could it be? I have fuel and spark, so maybe compression?
AAAARRRRGGGGGG!!!!

Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 PM

new battery.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:14 PM

really,the battery? Ill try almost anything at this point.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:08 PM

Battery is at 80% with a full charge. Could it be the distributor?

Old 06-09-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by rob.allee
Battery is at 80% with a full charge. Could it be the distributor?
what do you mean "at 80% with a full charge"?

It COULD be anything. From the description you have provided, it sounds like a battery issue. Or someone has put a hex on you. Have you noticed a decrease in appetite and your hair falling out?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM

Akzle- I'll try locating the hex bag now (although I was bald before the car issues and diet is what I'm doing to my self).
What I meant was my battery is at 80% AND has a full charge. I took it to O'reilly's and had it tested. And thats what they told me.
So my Montero cranks over fine, the sound is normal except no kick at the end of it actually starting, so I thought fuel pressure was dropping over night. So after I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulator, my ignition coil died.
Replaced the coil and it started right up. I thought YES FINALLY!! But the next morning, I tried starting it and no start, just crank over. I can get it started, it just takes 6-8 cranks (short 3 second cranks) and when its running I can drive anywhere. But after it sits for more then 4 hrs, back to the same old cranking to get it running.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:02 PM

i still advise a new battery.
I suspect your battery was warm when tested.
Get more cold cranking amps.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM

also, theres a compression test in your future.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Akzle- But with no or too low compression it wouldn't even start. What I really want is a rebuilt or crate engine. I'm pushing 300,000 miles.
Someone on 4X4wire trail talk said failed power transistor to the coil. although when I tested the coil is was 12v-13v. I'm going to test it, but I have my doubts.
R.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by rob.allee
Akzle- But with no or too low compression it wouldn't even start. What I really want is a rebuilt or crate engine. I'm pushing 300,000 miles.
Someone on 4X4wire trail talk said failed power transistor to the coil. although when I tested the coil is was 12v-13v. I'm going to test it, but I have my doubts.
R.
well, it's nearly run in, then.

Quick Reply: 1990 Montero NO START HELP!!!!