1995-1999 RS to GSX Swap, RH Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:44 AM
Default 1995-1999 RS to GSX Swap, RH Drive

Looking at building a 2G GSX, with right hand drive, out of an RS.... Is this possible, and does anyone know where there may be a trouble shooting/guide/manual out there to help along the way... I spoke with a DSM enthusiast years ago when Iwas in Iraq, and he got me into DSM vehicles. I love the 2G body style, and wanted to build a turbo AWD. Non ricer of course. Any help on this would be great. I understand the AWD application wll require alot of welding, which i can handle. Im just not surehow easy the right hand drive conversion will be. I want the dash to remain clean and have a stock appearance, so a made from scratch/custom dash is necessary.

Last edited by bradleyhaslett; 08-31-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 PM

So as the eclipse not being available in Europe, a RHD Eclipse dash is out of the question.... Guess alot of fiberglass, and some cutting could render a RHD dash with a stock look. Also, after searching the net for about 4 hours or so, I havent found anyone who has a RHD Eclipse who can back it up with pictures that dont appear photoshopped, so this may be a future How-to thead. The AWD application was alot easier to track down, thanks to Sebba stepping into barry boy turf years ago. Found a post with parts list and a basic how-to. Any other help from anyone would b appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Just buy a gsx its much easier and fyi the gsx engine will not bolt up in a rs.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:05 PM

Yeah, the problem with that is:
1. Finding a GSX in the area that isnt completely trashed or rediculously expensive is impossible.
2. I find it more fun to build a car from scratch exactly how I want it rather than buying someone else's idea of a great vehicle.
3. It is alot easier for me to build an RS to AWD than just buying a GSX, because of the usual problem with tuners, MONEY.

What exactly is the problem between a GSX motor and a RS vehicle? Is it just simply a motor mount issue, or does this go deeper than i have imagined?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

If you search you'll find out why it wont work. Your better off putting an evo VIII engine in the rs.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:37 PM

Yeah, saw a guy selling an rs on Ebay with a EVO III motor in it.... Thanks

Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Someone did a write up on dsmtalk.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 PM

Awesome! I really appreciate all the info on the swap. Still being new to the DSM, my knowledge of the 420a and the ability to swap motors is still small, but the tech help and advice in these forums are quite amazing! Just gotta read past al the "Yo mamma" jokes and trash talk first, LOL!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Banned

Are you ****ing kidding me?

First off, why the hell would you want to do the RHD conversion? So you can have mad tyte JDM shizzle yo? Here's a little thought... the RHD fad belongs in the ****ing Honda scene. There were no RHD Eclipses ever made, so that will be a little hard. If you're even asking the question that tells me you don't have the skills needed for the fabrication.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 AM

........And it begins.................

Honestly, the concept is purely: What has never been done? What will turn heads at a show?
What was that quote I read in another thread earlier tonight....?

"Imagination leads to innovaton, innovation leads to evolution."

Youre right, there were no RHD Eclipses ever made, as I said in an earlier reply. You say I dont have the skills for the fabrication to convert a LHD drive vehicle to RHD. Youre correct. I no longer have the steady hand to lay any great lines down with a welder. I have never really approached the idea whole-heartedly enough to see how in-depth this might be.

Then there is the complete tasteless attempt to degrade someone who doesnt think the same way you do about a car setup (i.e. right hand drive, or how did you put it? Mad tyte JDM shizzle, yo?) This was a thread that was made to ask for any help in locating a How-to/Online guide, and if anyone had ever done it before? Is that not what a forum is for? To share advice, share pictures and setups of one another's ride, and share stories about our beloved DSM's? Last time I checked, there was a good bit of useful information on these sites for the sole purpose of keeping DSM cars running on the road, and showing off our rides, what we do, etc.

I take your comment with a grain of salt, because Im sure anyone in this forum will agree when I say that there idea of a great, nice car is different from someone else's. You may enjoy your Nissan V-spec with great horsepower gains, because you go to races and like to race at the track. As will I enjoy my RHD Eclipse AWD because its something that has never been done and when seen at a show, an enthusiast will stop at the car to look at the conversion, see how it turned out, and thus may look the rest of the car over to see what else has been done....

But even in this forum, the usual "My engine is bigger than yours, I have a bigger turbo, My 4g63 is built better, I put out more boost" pissing contests will happen, which is compltely understood. UNFORTUNATELY, as a colonel once told me many years ago,
"The subject which you brought to the table may seem legitimate to you, and even me. But there is a way to go about things. And coming in here, ranting and raving and cussing like a drunk sailor only makes yourself look worse than the men you attempted to bash."

Everyone has their own brand of coffee here... Who's to say what I may want to try doing is completely wrong?

Quick Reply: 1995-1999 RS to GSX Swap, RH Drive