1999 Eclipse GS Windows Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Default 1999 Eclipse GS Windows Leak

My eclipse has been broken into twice recently, both passenger and driver windows have been replaced. Before all of this I could go to the auto carwash without water spirting through the top of the seal, after the new windows were installed it leaks real bad. The window installation people can't seem to adjust them to where they don't leak, anyone had this problem or have asuugestion on how to solve it ?

Old 01-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Default RE: 1999 Eclipse GS Windows Leak

My 2001 GT Spyder had a bad leak on the passenger side and it appeared that the window didn't line up parallel when it was rolled up. If I compared both sides, it was apparent that there was something wrong. I took the inside door panel off, pealed away the plastic (very carefully) and looked for an alignment problem.

What I found was that there are two stops attached to the glass. One on the front and one on the back. When you roll the window all the way up, the stops (attached to the door itself) are supposed to hit and adjust the glass straight. However, there are two holes in the glass for mounting those stops and the front one was in the wrong hole. When the window went up, only the back one hit and that pushed the front of the window up higher causing the misalignment. I rolled the window down to where I could get to the stop and moved it to the correct hole.

If you pull the power window switch out of the door panel and attach it back, you can opperate the window without the door panel being on. Let me know if you need more help or if that fixes it. Total job took about 2 hours of research and 5 minutes of time to fix it.

If your window looks perfectly straight compared to the side that doesn't leak, this probably isn't your problem. There is another possibility. If those stops attached to the door set too low, the window won't go up high enough to seal the door. You can loosen those and move them up, which then allows the window to go up higher. If the new windows were slightly smaller, that could be the problem.
Good luck.
~Steve

Old 02-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Default RE: 1999 Eclipse GS Windows Leak

I think i have the same problem on my 98 eclipse when i roll up the windows it will not allign properly so when i drive i can still feel the air coming in through the windows... i have not ever opened my door panel could a mechanic just do it or will they not know wut im talkin bout if i tell them?