33 other things it could be? SES

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Default 33 other things it could be? SES

Ok I have switched the gas cap and drove and drove but still have the light on. Notice today that my temp gauge goes up and down. I don't notice it moving as I could not watch it due to the curvey road I was on but it would go past the halfway mark then seem to go back down. Has plenty of water and added antifreeze. Oil is fine and not past due. The tech mention that there are 33 potential problems it could be- emissions type things or sparking? Where can I find these or what else should I do to get rid of this problem?

Old 11-11-2005, 01:15 AM
Default RE: 33 other things it could be? SES

Actually, there are way more than 33 reasons for your check engine light. Any answer you see from here is purely speculation and guesswork. Your best bet is to get the trouble code read. There are many autoparts stores that will do it for you and might even read it for you for free. Have them read the code for you and post the result. Do NOT take any autoparts stores diagnosis too seriously at this point. Good luck!

Joel, CA

Old 11-12-2005, 11:41 AM

Go get it checked and tell us what it says. maby we can help then.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly there are DEFINATELY more than 33 reasons and the auto store should be able to pull the code but make sure you write it down and tell us so we can figure out what the problem is.

Old 11-12-2005, 07:08 PM

Well there is a really good chance it has something to do with the radiator, leaky hose, etc.. You know when you have had a car that you had to put water in ever 5 miles and you now that smell that is like no other, well my car has that smell and I cannot find any water leaking something is obviously not right. I also get a slight smell of oil, course my nose is super sensitive but Tuesday I will know. I just have this fear that the dealer will tell me some thing is wrong with one thing, fix that and make fifty other things go bad within the next 6 months. Sounds stupid but I avoid that place like the dennist. I don't trust my baby with any mechanics around here. I'll let you know what you can add to the 33, oh and the guy said emissions, I am an idiot it when it comes to cars, but problems with the cooling sys, causing this light to come one would have little to do w/ emissons?

Old 11-12-2005, 07:23 PM

Watch what they tell you and if it sounds fishy dont have them do it. The Dealership might just be trying to get a few extra bucks outta you, and ive seen it done. The light can come on for all sorts of reasond from cooling system problems to emission problems to engin problems. its just an indicator light that tells you to get the codes read so it really could be anything. Good Luck.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:34 PM

That check engine/service engine soon light is all about emission and will illuminate if it detects a problem what will effect emissions. Have it checked before you little problems turns into something potentially worse. Good Luck!

Joel, CA

Old 11-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

If you're losing water either it's going into the oil (Check oil dipstick for milky color indicationg moisture), through the head gasket to a cylnder (White cloud behind the car?), from a hose/the radiator itself (puddles under the car?), or from the freeze plugs (Puddles on the ground at the back of the engine instead of front of the car). Those are ideas for the leaking coolant and how to figure it out. You could possibly have a leak in the valve cover gasket leaking small amounts of oil onto the hot block burning that as well. Recomend changing PCV valve and checking around valve cover for oil leaks if any are found replace the valve cover gasket as well.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Well the light turned off two days ago but the smell of radiator stuff is strong, can find no leaks but a slight oil drip on the ?????well what is now the metal thing that runs under the car (down pipe) use to be the CAT- sorry I dont know my lingo here, Dropped the car off at the dealer and before they even really looked at it they checked the fluids and told David that the Transmission fluid needed to be changed $140 and the power steering fluid $75 and they also recommend at 60,000 a new timing belt $400, so I said why not ask for a new set of leather seats to the tab too, damn they dont even know what is wrong yet and we are over 600- yep I am shopping around so I told them just to find out what is wrong before they go finding crap to replace. Luckly I know some people in the detail business that can give me some references. I know the dealer is always higher but I was just a little shocked that they started trying to sell crap so fast

Old 11-15-2005, 08:21 PM

Dealership=SATAN!

Quick Reply: 33 other things it could be? SES