Car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Default Car wash

is it true that getting your car washed is actually more harmful than good for your car? I get mine washed at Turtle Wax Wash centers or sometimes Simoniz.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Default RE: Car wash

wash you own car...less chance of screwing it up....

now waxing your car is the problem. if you wax to often it eats away the clearcoat.

washing your car like once a week is fine. but only wax like once every two months.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 PM

drive in car washes that use the whips then that is bad for your paint. If you go to guys who hand wash the car they can use dirty rags to whipe down the car and it scratches. This is why I wash my own car and use mequires gold class wax and every few weeks I use some mothers cleaner wax. Yes I ax my car once a week

Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 PM

how does the wax deteriorate the clear coat?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 PM

im not a friggin chemist i just know it does...clear coat can deteriorate alot of ways...but wax is just one thing that does it. this is if you do it too often. but every once in awhile its ok.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmitsusrock

im not a friggin chemist i just know it does...clear coat can deteriorate alot of ways...but wax is just one thing that does it. this is if you do it too often. but every once in awhile its ok.
I wax once a week AT LEAST and all of my cars and the clearcoat is perfect and always has been on all of my cars (minus the wing since the EVO wing is a defect). not having wax on the car is worse IMO the looks terrible and peint gets OWNDIZZLED

Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Doing a wax is to protect the clear coat, so it doesnt harm it, i want to see an article that says it does. And when you need to wax really depends on the climate. Up hear because of the somewhat rough climate, waxing a car once a week may be necessary if its driven because the wax will have already faded off. Also emonz has two other reasons to wax his more often too 1. mitsubishi clear coat sucks ***. and 2.its a black car which is an even bigger pain in the ***** to keep clean

Old 01-11-2007, 06:25 PM

i was told this by a mechanic on another forum (importpost that no longer exists) anyhow listen to what i said...it hurts if you do it too often. waxing is good but not if you do it too much.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmitsusrock

i was told this by a mechanic on another forum (importpost that no longer exists) anyhow listen to what i said...it hurts if you do it too often. waxing is good but not if you do it too much.
I do it at least once a week with all of my cars and none of them had clear coat issues. Maybe some types of wax are a problem more than others I ONLY use meguires and once in a lonng while I do a coat of mothers cleaners wax and or mothers clay bar

Old 01-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Your car is not very old either. And yes meguires is a good company so who knows.

Quick Reply: Car wash