Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Mitsubishi Chat (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/)
-   -   How much weight reduction to gain 1 hp (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/how-much-weight-reduction-gain-1-hp-23342/)

sk8dudety 11-09-2007 04:51 PM

RE: How much weight reduction to gain 1 hp

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

ORIGINAL: sk8dudety

ive seen full carbon fiber doors... one of ams's evo's had them at the shootout... i was checkin out the car as the guy was workin inside it
thats different, thats an all out drag car. Not street legal
i know it's different, im just saying that i've seen them... and i didnt know that they werent street legal... and ron i didnt know they made carbon fiber driveshafts... how strong are those? and where do you find them?

estraw 11-10-2007 02:37 PM

they arent solid carbon fiber, they are carbon fiber wrapped, i think they have an alluminum core inside but just use the CF for extra strength

estraw 11-10-2007 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

there are 2 different kinds of weight reduction. just weight that you can take out of the car and also rotational mass weight. an example of the first kind would be taking a passenger seat out to lighten the car, you will see little to no gain from this unles you strip the entire car. the second kind of weight reduction is the kind that you get from lightening the rotational mass or rotating assembly which can be had from a lightweight flywheel, carbon fiber drive shaft (awd and rwd only of course) and... well that's just about all i can think of lol. hope this helps.
dont forget about light weight rims too.. they can help a lot

sk8dudety 11-10-2007 02:53 PM

aha, gotcha... kinda like those hks carbon fiber exhausts, just a wrap around, got it

ricanpunk 11-30-2007 10:51 PM

Imtryna go all out with the whole reducing rotational mass thing. pulleys, rims, eventually flywheel. ive been checkin falken's hanabi rims for a while, 16.94 lbs a piece. I was gonna go for a cf hood but 1/10 doesnt sound like much incentive for a $600 part

lhausi2 12-24-2007 05:39 PM

if you really wanna loose weight without spending mad loot. you could always ripp out the sound deadening which is pretty heavy, also please tell me you took the spare tire out and things like that?lol
are you still gunna drive the car on the street, cuz if not i say screw p/s also with a/c. and you can take out little things like the washer fluid and stuff like that, cuz in the end it all adds up. And those cf driveshafts are stronger than anything. They usually use them on like the 800bhp+++ supra's and silvia's and stuff like that