Little problem made worse.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Default Little problem made worse.

So, I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I am. I noticed my wifes 2009 Outlander xls had cracks in the outer nut on the TPMS / Valve stem. Not wanting to wake up to a flat tire at 5:00am, I was proactive and took it to the only place open at noon on a Sunday, Firestone service. I drop it off, no lights or abnormal messages are displayed. So about $110 later the call me and tell me it's fixed.

I get in and start the car, notice the "Service Engine Soon" light is on. I ask the people at Firestone to look at it for me, the connect to it and get U0000 and P0000. The guy says, ooh that's a dealership only code. You need to take it there, but it's probably just the gas cap. Not believing that to be too likely, I was going to connect my scanner when I get home. But on the way the home the Tire sensor alarm triggers. So now I have indicators, Tire sensor and Service engine soon. I arrive home and plug in my trusty old Actron cheepo and it keeps giving the "Failed to Link" notice. It will power up but will not communicate. I plug it into my chevy colorado and it communicates just fine.

So remembering when I used to change the TPMS sensors at work many years ago, you needed to connect through the OBD2 port for the setup process.

Could they have damage the BCM/PCM/ECM when pairing the sensor?

Old 07-25-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jim-2009_outlander
So, I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I am. I noticed my wifes 2009 Outlander xls had cracks in the outer nut on the TPMS / Valve stem. Not wanting to wake up to a flat tire at 5:00am, I was proactive and took it to the only place open at noon on a Sunday, Firestone service. I drop it off, no lights or abnormal messages are displayed. So about $110 later the call me and tell me it's fixed.

I get in and start the car, notice the "Service Engine Soon" light is on. I ask the people at Firestone to look at it for me, the connect to it and get U0000 and P0000. The guy says, ooh that's a dealership only code. You need to take it there, but it's probably just the gas cap. Not believing that to be too likely, I was going to connect my scanner when I get home. But on the way the home the Tire sensor alarm triggers. So now I have indicators, Tire sensor and Service engine soon. I arrive home and plug in my trusty old Actron cheepo and it keeps giving the "Failed to Link" notice. It will power up but will not communicate. I plug it into my chevy colorado and it communicates just fine.

So remembering when I used to change the TPMS sensors at work many years ago, you needed to connect through the OBD2 port for the setup process.

Could they have damage the BCM/PCM/ECM when pairing the sensor?

It sure looks that way...thats a reall bummer..if the dealer can confirm they screwed up..you gotta go back after Firestone Service...some places really mess up more than they fix...let us know what happens...Best of Luck

Old 07-25-2015, 10:18 AM

I looked up P0000 online and it said that means there is no trouble code. (P being power train module)
The U code is user network and I can't seem to find anyone that confirms it but I would expect that means no error too..

I wonder if they failed to link as well and that's just a default message they don't know how to read..

Did you physically inspect the connector? Maybe they pushed in some pins or cracked it or something.

I have had no TPMS sensors at all and it does not set a MIL/CEL at all. You just get the flashing TPMS warning light and the messages on the center dash every 20 minutes or so.

If your going to the dealer anyway I wouldn't do this but if you want to give it a shot yourself pull the negative terminal off the battery for like 30 mins and let everything reset.. The downside is you may loose whatever codes the dealer _might_ be able to get.

I don't think the process for programming tire sensor IDs is capable of causing that kind of a problem though..