More Power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Default RE: More Power?

ORIGINAL: Street Surgeon

A word on these Tearstone turbo-kits that everyones so quick to recommend.

For the RS/GS basic NON INTERCOOLED turbo kit you will pay $2300.00 +125 shipping and handling
This kit is good for ~210whp, which is a little bit faster than a stock GT would be... Wow, an additional 2300+ to be a hair faster than a stock GT?!? OUCH!

For the RS/GS basic INTERCOOLED turbo kit you will pay $3500.00 (an extra 1200 for a fmic and piping?!?!?!? DAMN!) +125 shipping and handling
They don't say how much of a difference the 1200 buck intercooler would make, but I'd assume that it'd be good for an additional 20ish hp (and that's being generous) so we'll say it's good for 230ish whp. This car would still be faster than a stock GT, but not by a ton, and for 3500..... Wow....

For the RS/GS pro turbo kit, you will pay $4500.00 +125 shipping and handling
This kit is good for ~240whp @ 8.5psi, or 310 @ 15psi which on a stock 4G64, I doubt it would last very long running that motor at 15psi, the compression is too high and you're guaranteed to crack a ring gland. Please don't argue with me on this based on conjecture I've dealt with enough stock turbo'd 4G64's to know [:@] You may pump 310hp out of it for a lil' bit, but I wouldn't try it [:-]

In all honesty this is not a very good platform to start with, I would never let that deter me from modifying my own ride, but when you have to spend at least 2425 to make it rival a 15 second GT, that's some hefty change man.
the non IC kit only runs 5 PSI Russ ran a non IC kit on the weak 6G72 for a year an a half. I have seen plenty of 4G64s run at 9 PSI without any trouble honestly. if the car is tuned right it will take the power. The 4G64 is far better platform to work with than the V6.

The 4G64 has the same internals as the 2G they can handle 300WHP easily. there is a guy down the street from me with a RS runnng 12 PSI for 3 years on the stock bottom end he made 315WHP and his car hasent had any trouble what so ever.

If your serious about the tearstone stiuff just go to Club3gfl.com half of the members there are running that kit.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:30 PM

Anyone know if there is anything like this for a NA 3kGT?

Old 02-07-2006, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57
Russ ran a non IC kit on the weak 6G72 for a year an a half. I have seen plenty of 4G64s run at 9 PSI without any trouble honestly. if the car is tuned right it will take the power.
So because a totally different turbo kit, on a totally different motor worked well, this one will be the same? That's some ill logic right there I do agree that the 4G64 is an easier platform to work with though.

The 4G64 has the same internals as the 2G they can handle 300WHP easily. there is a guy down the street from me with a RS runnng 12 PSI for 3 years on the stock bottom end he made 315WHP and his car hasent had any trouble what so ever.
Myth buster time!!!! Please please please don't post conjecture or misinformation on these forums as fact, especially since there are so many that are new to the Mitsu scene here that they don't know any better and will likely just believe it! The 3G and 2G's dooooo NOT share the same internals whatsoever. The 3G 4G64 has a different (and less stout) crank, higher compression pistons with weaker ring glands (i.e. bad for boost) and only the rods are similar. There's a guy down the street from you running 12psi and making 315hp?!? Wow, thats better than what the guy who engineered the kit himself made! He only got 300ish at 15psi! It sounds kinda fishy to me, and for me to believe that it's been putting THAT hp down for over 3 years on a stock bottom end I'd have to see some sort of dyno proof or some pics. I mean come on, have these kits even been out for 3 years?

EDIT>> Of course, he might just be telling you he made 315, alot of the ricers pull that one here too. I've seen so many 300hp i/h/e Civics here it's not even funny [:@]

Old 02-07-2006, 01:57 PM

Geez. :-p Little frustrated? :-D Lol. I understand man.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:00 PM

Heh, well I just can't stand it when people regurgitate info they've heard without researching it a bit further. BS police!!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD AND KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!

Old 02-07-2006, 02:02 PM

Lol man I hear ya. I've heard stuff like that but I prefer not to repeat it unless I am like 90% or more sure it is accurate.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:36 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Street Surgeon

Russ ran a non IC kit on the weak 6G72 for a year an a half. I have seen plenty of 4G64s run at 9 PSI without any trouble honestly. if the car is tuned right it will take the power.
as for the internals yeah the 3G has a diff crank and pistons so I wasnt elabrate about that but I was always under the impression the rods and block are the same - Maybe I am wrong on that

ok well lets see the 4G64 in the 3G has been in the AAI turbo market for ALOT longer the the 6G72... the 6G72 has only been in the AAI\tearstone thing for a year maybe two and has been proven to only be able to take 8PSI on the GT the GTS only 6PSI.The 4G64 has been turbod buy AAI since I think 2002. I have owned a 4G64 powered 3G and peiced togethrer my own turbo kit so belive me when I say I have researched it just alittle. There is a reasone why the tearstone kit is the only one out there that sells regularly, there has been at least 4 other companies that have failed this one is still going strong.

Honestly if the kit wasnt going to work on the car I highly doubt that they would be in business still after all this time and I think it would be rather easy to find people complaining that the tearston\AAI kit blew there car up.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:39 PM

Did you forget to post, Emonz?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Street Surgeon

Myth buster time!!!! Please please please don't post conjecture or misinformation on these forums as fact, especially since there are so many that are new to the Mitsu scene here that they don't know any better and will likely just believe it! The 3G and 2G's dooooo NOT share the same internals whatsoever. The 3G 4G64 has a different (and less stout) crank, higher compression pistons with weaker ring glands (i.e. bad for boost) and only the rods are similar. There's a guy down the street from you running 12psi and making 315hp?!? Wow, thats better than what the guy who engineered the kit himself made! He only got 300ish at 15psi! It sounds kinda fishy to me, and for me to believe that it's been putting THAT hp down for over 3 years on a stock bottom end I'd have to see some sort of dyno proof or some pics. I mean come on, have these kits even been out for 3 years?

EDIT>> Of course, he might just be telling you he made 315, alot of the ricers pull that one here too. I've seen so many 300hp i/h/e Civics here it's not even funny [:@]
Actually, they are called "ring lands".

I was pointed overhere to interject with the claims that we have extensively tested a 2000 Eclipse RS and a 2003 Galant ES (the two shop cars) and have stuffed them full of boost without damaging the engine. While yes, the 6G72 platforms you can count on busting a ring lands quite easily, somehow this just is not the case with the 4G64. The gentleman that designs these kit is named "Donald Eley" which used to run a company called AAI. I'm sure most people who are in this scene know who AAI is and what they have done for Mustangs and the 3rd Generation 4G64 in the past. Unfortunately he was not a savy business man so I took over the business portion while he continued to make the kits.

There are varrying degrees of success with the 4G64. If you run a AEM EMS you can pull out around 330whp out of the engine before the heads stop flowing anymore. Donald actually pulled 310whp at 17psi which was undoubtedly the mark in which the heads stop flowing coupled with tuning on a Greddy E-Manage piggyback device. He has been driving around his RS and the Galant ES with the basic non intercooled kit for over a year and half. Actually he drove around the 4G64 RS with 26psi for a couple of weeks but the effort was futile since it did not make any notable power gains after the 17psi mark. I'm just saying that the 4G64 is pretty unique in the fact that it can handle the 300 wheel horse power mark pretty well and we are confident that there won't be any problems.

I wish I could say the same thing about the 6G72, but there are **** people like myself who have been able to put some milage on the motors with boost and I'm living proof. 40K miles and still trucking along at 8psi with a legacy turbo kit.

Fishy or not, please do not hesistate to ask any further questions or contact me anytime at rsanderlin@tearstone.com for more details. I'm glad to see people taking an inquisitive view of our products, it not only helps us improve where we may be deficient but help those understand everything they need to know about the kits before the purchase our products.

Thank you

Old 02-07-2006, 03:44 PM

You should totally become a sponsor here.

Quick Reply: More Power?