New brake pads and rotors question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Default New brake pads and rotors question

All right so I ordered some new brake pads and two new front rotors for my 96 3kGT SL. Pads are getting here today but the rotors won't be here until next week. So, quick question. Should I just wait and do everything when I have all the parts, or should I just do the pads this weekend and the rotors when I get them?

And either way, anything special I need to know to do the work myself or is it a relatively simple job, brake pads and/or rotors?

A walkthrough would be nice if anyone knew where one was, I've looked and can't find one.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New brake pads and rotors question

Its an extemely simple job. And definetly wait on doing both, because if your rotors are warped at all or the surfaces are worn then your just gonna be doing more damage to the new pads just to them at the same time. A quick rundown on how to do it is this:

1. Remove the tire
2. Turn the tire in the direction that your working on. (this will really help get the calipers off)
3. Remove the caliper. In order to do this you will notice there are four (4) bolts on the caliper. Two toward the top of the caliper which usually have a small rubber boot over the bolts, and two toward the axle. To totally remove the caliper you only need to remove the 2 bolts that are toward the axle. They maybe be difficult to see and get to. This is where turning the tire comes in handy. Once the bolts are off just kinda put the caliper somewhere out of the way but leaving the brake line on it.
4. Remove the rotor. It should just come right off. In the event that it is alittle difficult to do so you may want to take a hammer. This will free it up. If that still doesnt work then get some PB blaster to eat the rust away. If its still being a pain then a blow torch works as well .
5. Now just put on the new rotor. The pads you will find in the caliper. Take them out.
6. Now youll noticea cylinder on the caliper. This must be compressed before putting in the new pads. Using one of the old pads, butt it up against the piston and take a large clamp on the pad and the back of the caliper and compress it until its pretty flush with the edge of the caliper.
7. Now put in the new brake pads in the caliper and put the caliper back over the rotor. Put the bolts back in and put the tire back on . The repeat

Good luck

Old 03-23-2007, 12:36 PM

Thanks man, helps a bunch. Aye, I have one bad rotor, front passenger. Lol my pads have about 3% left on them on all four corners. :-p Guess I'll be taking it easy for a smidgen then. A week it is! Thanks for the walkthrough, greatly appreciated.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 PM

I have to say thanks to I feel like a Jackass saying this but, I have never known how to do my own brakes I have read repair books but, they never made it seem as simple as that. The way you described it I could actually see it without being infront of my car. I am going to paint my own capilers now, Thanks. Question I have drum in the back how do I deal with those?