purchasing advice. salvage/rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Default purchasing advice. salvage/rebuilt

Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of purchasing a 2002 mitsubishi GT.

The guy has been straight up with me about anything wrong with the vehicle. I got a vehicle history report on it and it shows that the vehicle was leased until november 2006 when it recieved a "junk vehicle" title. 2 weeks after that, title was changed to a "salvaged" title" and a month after that, the title was changed to rebuildable/damaged. the car was then sold to the guy I want to buy it from and about 2 months ago, the guy got the titlee changed to rebuilt/rebuildable.

I checked out the car and it seems like it's in great condition, no scratches/rust or anything. I'm not familiar with the process of having a title changed from junk to rebuilt but I've heard it's pretty rigorous. Do you guys think this would be a fine vehicle to purchase or do you think I might have problems with it in the very near future?

thanks!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned
Default RE: purchasing advice. salvage/rebuilt

why is it on a salvage title

Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM

dunno why it had either Title. "apparently" the guy that is selling it doesn't know why either. said a buddy looked it up and said it might have been a water damage thing, but the car currently has a rebuilt title.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

thats shady... dont bother with it

Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 AM

yea that sounds really iffy to me too... i would shy away from any car that has a salvage title on it and you dont know exactly what for... cause if you did then you could look at the area that was fixed and see if it's ok, if not then its kind of a shot in the dark

Old 10-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

The car must have went pretty good body work to go from salvage to rebuilt. It must have been in an accident or something. If it runs good and the frame, body panels, engine bay frame, ect. all look good with no damage then id say its fine. But with a title like this you have to be careful. Look the car up and down and try and figure out why it was salvage in the first place.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

It would take an expert to inspect it properly though.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

It would take an expert to inspect it properly though.
well sebba for a title to be changed from salvage to rebuilt it has to be inspected by an expert to ensure that the car is safe to be driven. So he shouldnt even have a problem in that regard

Old 10-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Hey guys, thx for the insight.

update.

talked to him again, he says the damage was from some kind of flood damage that he's unsure of. There's no vehicle history of any accidents on the vehicle, just the sudden switch to a "junk" then salvage, then rebuilt title.

I looked the vehicle over pretty well and there's no rust anywhere on the body and no faulty electric....

you guys got any ideas now?

Nate

Old 10-25-2007, 05:46 PM

anyway you could pull up the carpetting?? how is that by the way, is the interior pretty good?

Quick Reply: purchasing advice. salvage/rebuilt