synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Default synthetic oil

I was thinking of using a 5W30 royal purple oil in my Eclipse, but i dont know how know to much about synthetic oil, so i was wondering how synthetic oil would work in my car and if it is a good idea or not to run this oil?

Old 07-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned
Default RE: synthetic oil

Its a great oil and you can run that oil in your car

Old 07-20-2006, 12:21 AM

could i run synthetic in my mirage?

Old 07-20-2006, 05:34 AM
Banned

yep

Old 08-15-2006, 05:06 PM

synthetic oil helps out a lot, in engine performance and sealing up old seals as well. but when you are transforming over from regular oil to full synthetic you'll have to do a blend. they make a blend for converting as well.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:33 PM

yea sorry but the part about synthetic oil sealing up old seals is totally wrong. Any one that knows anything about cars knows that synthetic oil is made up of way smaller molecules than conventional oil. This is why synthetic oil is better: it flows very well, has less thermal breakdown (last twice as long), and doesnt produce sludge and varnish in your engine. So when you make the conversion to synthetic oil from conventional oil your going to notice oil leaks that you never knew you had because of the smaller molecules and the tendency it has to reach into tighter places.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: DixonsGst

yea sorry but the part about synthetic oil sealing up old seals is totally wrong. Any one that knows anything about cars knows that synthetic oil is made up of way smaller molecules than conventional oil. This is why synthetic oil is better: it flows very well, has less thermal breakdown (last twice as long), and doesnt produce sludge and varnish in your engine. So when you make the conversion to synthetic oil from conventional oil your going to notice oil leaks that you never knew you had because of the smaller molecules and the tendency it has to reach into tighter places.
sounds a little bit like a commercial, but i didn't get any leaks, and with the smaller molecules it would stick to more places and smaller cracks as well, and with synthetic its more "sticky" then conventional oil so but doing that i'll make the seals hold longer than just using conventional oil.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:21 PM

I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic in my '99 GS-T and it seems to work pretty good.. I like it

Old 08-28-2006, 02:39 PM

alright im not gonna argue with anyone but im a parts service manager at Autozone profession and it is what it is. Since you dont think what i have to say is correct i did a little research to back it up. "Conventional oils come from crude oil that is pumped from the ground. Crude oil is made up of a complex mixture of molecules that form chains and rings of different sizes and shapes. Long chains of carbon atoms produce a thick, viscous fluid that flows slowly. Shorter chains produce fluid that flows more readily." So you can clearly see that i dont know what im talking about....or the people at Mobil.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:41 PM

p.s. mobil 1 is a nice oil for the price stick with it.

Quick Reply: synthetic oil