Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Mitsubishi Chat (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/)
-   -   what is this dsm (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/what-dsm-2803/)

gsr94trycatchit 12-14-2004 04:56 AM

what is this dsm

what is this dsm you speak so much about I am very interested to know. I own a lancer gsr 94 model in australia does anyone know anything about that car?

Tmann26 12-14-2004 05:23 AM

RE: what is this dsm

DSM = Diamond Star Motors.

SpyderGS 12-14-2004 07:49 PM

Diamond Star Motors are usually in reference to first 2 generations of Eclipse's(89-99 model years)...and to a certain degree it can include almost every mitsu vehicle in the production years from 1988-1998(for simplicity's sake, we'll include 1998 production year vehicles;)). Pretty much any car built at the Diamond Star plant in Normal, Illinios can be *considered* a DSM, even the Japanese cars like the GTO or Mirage which were assembled in the DSM plant(for the U.S. market). The DSM built "japanese" cars differ in very minor ways than the cars actually produced in Japan, due to the engineering techniques of the DSM plant. However, many consider the DSM engines and tranny's not up to par with the Japanese built equivalent, which can be true to an extent, the 95-99 4g63 DSM engine's having common cases of crankwalk where as the same year japanese engines had no such trouble. Anyways, DSM generally means Either the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, or Plymouth Laser. All these cars are the same thing, just different badging. Plymouth and Eagle were both subsidaries of Chrysler, so Chrysler sold those cars at it's dealerships. Another term you might see often is "TEL", which are just the initials for Talon Eclipse Laser. Once again, same thing. Anyways, Since the Eclipse's, Talon's, and Laser's are somewhat exclusive to the U.S. market, and were all built at the same Diamond Star plant, they can effectively take the name DSM without any confusion.

gsr94trycatchit 12-18-2004 02:13 AM

ok sweet thanks for the reply cause I thought it was like a crazy mod that i didn't know but sounded very good.

Playboy4ll23 12-19-2004 09:40 PM

learn somethin new everyday huh:D

midnght 12-19-2004 10:57 PM

The DSM plant is based in Normal, Illinois USA and the United States government considers them DOMESTIC.

If you ever hear anyone talking about a turboed Talon Laser or Eclipse they are talking about DSM's. The engine designation for them is 4G63T. Some of the 1G N/A engines were also 4G63's but were the N/A versions. These people easily switch over to the turbo version.

Crankwalk is thought to be a SPEC that was not kept correct on the crank and assembly. The cause has NEVER been found therefore there is NO way to prevent it from happening if your car is "out of spec". It is not as COMMON as most would believe.

BurntGSX 12-21-2004 11:02 PM

this is true. I have no crank walk, but I only have 60,000 miles on my 97 maybe thats why, or maybe I got lucky

Prophet 12-23-2004 07:04 AM

So wait. My Galant was built in Normal does that now make me a DSM....

*Duck* watching out for the flame *Duck*

midnght 12-25-2004 03:11 AM

This...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/dat...86DSC00053.JPG
That white piece of paper on the frame in the upper left hand side, above the firewall....that is what makes anyone a DSM. LOL.

Prophet 12-25-2004 04:23 AM

You mean this little piece of paper on my left hand side on the firewall makes me a DSM....
http://www.dnaracing.net/teamdna_rides_jason0013.JPG

:D I don't think anyone really knows what is considered a DSM or not. We base it on general opinions but I can speak to Starion Owners and they will tell you that the Eclipse is not a DSM. If the 6th Generation VR-4 Galant is a DSM why is the 8th Generation Galant not considered. Because it doesn't carry the 4G63T? Where a non turbo charged 4G64. DSM= Diamond Star Motors built in IL. My Galant was built in IL at the DSM plant? Why is the 3rd Generation Eclipse not considered a DSM. Same thing there built in IL at the DSM plant and yet when speaking to DSM tuners they only consider the 1G and 2G. The 1G was based off of the 6th Generation Galant and the Eclipse continues to be based off of the Galant but where still not considered a DSM. IMO what makes a DSM is a turbo in people's eyes. IMO if you carry the Mitsubishi Badge your a DSM.

midnght 12-25-2004 09:58 PM

The plant is just the plant.

Normal, IL. was the just the plant used to build the cars under the Diamond Star Motor (DSM) conjunction between Diamlyer Chrysler and Mitsubishi motors. Just because you have a plant and cars are still poppiong out of it doesnt mean they are part of the joint venture. No, the 4G63 is not the DSM insignia. Hell, there are many other cars out there with this engine swapped into it. The Porsche, the Civic, and Mirage...they are NOT DSM's. Even most of of the EVO lineups have had this engine or the 4G94. They are NOT DSM's. It is the words DSM on that white piece of paper in the corner of you car.
If it says DSM anywere on there it IS a DSM and comes from the original manufacture line then it is.

If it does not then you are NOT a DSM owner. You own a Mitsubishi Motors product.

Prophet 12-26-2004 03:55 AM

ORIGINAL: midnght

The plant is just the plant.

Normal, IL. was the just the plant used to build the cars under the Diamond Star Motor (DSM) conjunction between Diamlyer Chrysler and Mitsubishi motors. Just because you have a plant and cars are still poppiong out of it doesnt mean they are part of the joint venture. No, the 4G63 is not the DSM insignia. Hell, there are many other cars out there with this engine swapped into it. The Porsche, the Civic, and Mirage...they are NOT DSM's. Even most of of the EVO lineups have had this engine or the 4G94. They are NOT DSM's. It is the words DSM on that white piece of paper in the corner of you car.
If it says DSM anywere on there it IS a DSM and comes from the original manufacture line then it is.

If it does not then you are NOT a DSM owner. You own a Mitsubishi Motors product.
Before we start stating our opinions on what is considered a DSM I would like to know if you consider a 99 GS Spyder a DSM or the EVO VIII?

midnght 12-26-2004 11:04 PM

In all terms even the 2G could technicaly not be considered a DSM since Diamond-Star Motors was officially dissolved in 1993 after the design and production tooling for the 1994 and 1995 cars was complete. Mitsubishi Motors continues to operate the plant formerly responsible for DSM cars under sole ownership.

This can be argued over and over, but in all actuality I don't really care to. I know my car is what it is and were to find information on it if need be. This whole topic is going to be talked about on opinions.

If you wanna base it off opinions then I will state mine:

1989-1999

Eclipse
Talon
Laser
Galant VR-4's
Evolutions with the 4G63T and AWD platform

All the cars in this line-up I see as DSM's. Why you might ask? Because they have a common set base from the FACTORY. Not a swapped in motor or drivetrain. Yes, I understand the Avenger and Eclipse share some common traits, no I do not do see them as DSM's. Just a personal point of view. There are alot of different engines in these line-ups. Not just the 420a and 4G63 T or NA.

I am not here to start a debate over what is what. I do not consider anything popped out of the plant a DSM, nor do I feel that just because the joint venture ended in 94 that the 95-99 Eclipse or Talon are not DSM's. It is clear they all derived from the same technology. Your Galant is nice, but shares almost nothing with the original VR-4 (that was produced in Japan in the first place).

This is all just a personal point of view. I don't want to take a large chunk of bandwidth over the topic. It will be talked about till the end of time. I welcome all cars fast or slow. I am willing to learn anything I can.

Prophet 12-28-2004 06:53 AM

lol your right we could argue this till the end of time and quite frankly to Mitsubishi there really is not such thing as a DSM. Your right the Galant I have shares nothing then a few cosmetic traights with the JDM VR-4. If I cared to venture I would need a 6A13tt and a tranny off of a FTO if I wanted to have a JDM engine swap and even then I couldn't take advantage to the AWD. Alot cheaper for me to start a custom TT set up for my little 4G64 or go the EVO route and drop it in. And why a TT set up? Just because I think it can be done.;)

So will end this and let other people argue what they consider a DSM. IMO a DSM is every car made under the Mitsu. family. From the Mirage and Sebring to the Galant and EVO. Don't matter to me what I don't like is the alieanation of other Mitsubishi rides. You seem to have a good apperciation of other Mitsu. rides and I can respect that. If I wanted to be fast I would grab my 1G. If I want to be slow and show I grab my Galant. To me where all family.....

midnght 12-28-2004 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Prophet

lol your right we could argue this till the end of time and quite frankly to Mitsubishi there really is not such thing as a DSM. Your right the Galant I have shares nothing then a few cosmetic traights with the JDM VR-4. If I cared to venture I would need a 6A13tt and a tranny off of a FTO if I wanted to have a JDM engine swap and even then I couldn't take advantage to the AWD. Alot cheaper for me to start a custom TT set up for my little 4G64 or go the EVO route and drop it in. And why a TT set up? Just because I think it can be done.;)

So will end this and let other people argue what they consider a DSM. IMO a DSM is every car made under the Mitsu. family. From the Mirage and Sebring to the Galant and EVO. Don't matter to me what I don't like is the alieanation of other Mitsubishi rides. You seem to have a good apperciation of other Mitsu. rides and I can respect that. If I wanted to be fast I would grab my 1G. If I want to be slow and show I grab my Galant. To me where all family.....
That's it man. We all have nice cars and respect eachother.

That wold be a nice TT setup when it is complete. I saw WHEN because you sound as if you are pretty handy with a Mitsu and a wrench. As most of us are, lol.

Good Luck and keep us updated. I fully understand were you are coming from and I appreciate you see my side. AS long as you enjoy your car and I enjoy mine we are ALL GOOD.

Prophet 12-28-2004 06:01 PM

lol I got plans for my G. All I am waiting on right now is my 4G64 engine to come in and I will start the rebuild. Just looking for a shop around me who can make a good custom exhaust manifold and I am all set.

midnght 12-29-2004 12:33 AM

Where are you located?

And those 64's put out SRT4 type torque. Watchout Tranny, lol.

Prophet 12-29-2004 03:41 AM

I am located in the Bay Area California.

The tranny has always been the weakest part to the Galant. When the 8G came out HKS tried to hook up a turbo system too it. Killed it in less than the first 2,000 miles. Tranny died.

I am going to still try to use it but if it goes I am going to have to get a manual from a 3G and swap it out. I am planning to small turbo's and the only reason why I am doing this is because it hasn't been done.

What do you think? I would like to hear your input.

midnght 12-29-2004 11:03 PM

I say go for it. Twins in that bay should be able to get in.

For size are you thinking 2 the same or one with a larger Comp wheel or Turbine? There are many different ways.

Smaller turbos I would look into the Evo16G. Lighter wheels in a smaller housing than the typical 16G and more power potential or there is the BigT28. These are DSM turbos and are relatively cheap for the product. HKS and Greddy platforms are WAAAAY over priced. What type of numbers are you looking for?

The tranny has ALWAYS been mitsu's weak point. The 3G can handle some good power possibly, but the torque is were it will stress. People that do the 4G64 in the Talon/Eclipse dept. Usually see a but load more. Think SRT4. Seen guys make 360whp but 400ftq. It is crazy.

Dans Talon 02-25-2005 02:12 AM

I was wondering, is the Dodge Stratus a DSM ? or what ?

This is a domestic Mitsu. Motors vehicle right ?

DT

Dans Talon 02-25-2005 02:14 AM

I was wondering, is the Dodge Stratus a DSM ? or what ?

This is a domestic Mitsu. Motors vehicle right ?

DT
(by the way, midnght, did you loose your head?)[:o]