what is this dsm

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 04:56 AM
Default what is this dsm

what is this dsm you speak so much about I am very interested to know. I own a lancer gsr 94 model in australia does anyone know anything about that car?

Old 12-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Default RE: what is this dsm

DSM = Diamond Star Motors.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:49 PM

Diamond Star Motors are usually in reference to first 2 generations of Eclipse's(89-99 model years)...and to a certain degree it can include almost every mitsu vehicle in the production years from 1988-1998(for simplicity's sake, we'll include 1998 production year vehicles). Pretty much any car built at the Diamond Star plant in Normal, Illinios can be *considered* a DSM, even the Japanese cars like the GTO or Mirage which were assembled in the DSM plant(for the U.S. market). The DSM built "japanese" cars differ in very minor ways than the cars actually produced in Japan, due to the engineering techniques of the DSM plant. However, many consider the DSM engines and tranny's not up to par with the Japanese built equivalent, which can be true to an extent, the 95-99 4g63 DSM engine's having common cases of crankwalk where as the same year japanese engines had no such trouble. Anyways, DSM generally means Either the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, or Plymouth Laser. All these cars are the same thing, just different badging. Plymouth and Eagle were both subsidaries of Chrysler, so Chrysler sold those cars at it's dealerships. Another term you might see often is "TEL", which are just the initials for Talon Eclipse Laser. Once again, same thing. Anyways, Since the Eclipse's, Talon's, and Laser's are somewhat exclusive to the U.S. market, and were all built at the same Diamond Star plant, they can effectively take the name DSM without any confusion.

Old 12-18-2004, 02:13 AM

ok sweet thanks for the reply cause I thought it was like a crazy mod that i didn't know but sounded very good.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:40 PM

learn somethin new everyday huh

Old 12-19-2004, 10:57 PM

The DSM plant is based in Normal, Illinois USA and the United States government considers them DOMESTIC.

If you ever hear anyone talking about a turboed Talon Laser or Eclipse they are talking about DSM's. The engine designation for them is 4G63T. Some of the 1G N/A engines were also 4G63's but were the N/A versions. These people easily switch over to the turbo version.

Crankwalk is thought to be a SPEC that was not kept correct on the crank and assembly. The cause has NEVER been found therefore there is NO way to prevent it from happening if your car is "out of spec". It is not as COMMON as most would believe.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:02 PM

this is true. I have no crank walk, but I only have 60,000 miles on my 97 maybe thats why, or maybe I got lucky

Old 12-23-2004, 07:04 AM

So wait. My Galant was built in Normal does that now make me a DSM....

*Duck* watching out for the flame *Duck*

Old 12-25-2004, 03:11 AM

This...

That white piece of paper on the frame in the upper left hand side, above the firewall....that is what makes anyone a DSM. LOL.

Old 12-25-2004, 04:23 AM

You mean this little piece of paper on my left hand side on the firewall makes me a DSM....

I don't think anyone really knows what is considered a DSM or not. We base it on general opinions but I can speak to Starion Owners and they will tell you that the Eclipse is not a DSM. If the 6th Generation VR-4 Galant is a DSM why is the 8th Generation Galant not considered. Because it doesn't carry the 4G63T? Where a non turbo charged 4G64. DSM= Diamond Star Motors built in IL. My Galant was built in IL at the DSM plant? Why is the 3rd Generation Eclipse not considered a DSM. Same thing there built in IL at the DSM plant and yet when speaking to DSM tuners they only consider the 1G and 2G. The 1G was based off of the 6th Generation Galant and the Eclipse continues to be based off of the Galant but where still not considered a DSM. IMO what makes a DSM is a turbo in people's eyes. IMO if you carry the Mitsubishi Badge your a DSM.

Quick Reply: what is this dsm