what is this dsm

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Default RE: what is this dsm

The plant is just the plant.

Normal, IL. was the just the plant used to build the cars under the Diamond Star Motor (DSM) conjunction between Diamlyer Chrysler and Mitsubishi motors. Just because you have a plant and cars are still poppiong out of it doesnt mean they are part of the joint venture. No, the 4G63 is not the DSM insignia. Hell, there are many other cars out there with this engine swapped into it. The Porsche, the Civic, and Mirage...they are NOT DSM's. Even most of of the EVO lineups have had this engine or the 4G94. They are NOT DSM's. It is the words DSM on that white piece of paper in the corner of you car.
If it says DSM anywere on there it IS a DSM and comes from the original manufacture line then it is.

If it does not then you are NOT a DSM owner. You own a Mitsubishi Motors product.

Old 12-26-2004, 03:55 AM

ORIGINAL: midnght

The plant is just the plant.

Normal, IL. was the just the plant used to build the cars under the Diamond Star Motor (DSM) conjunction between Diamlyer Chrysler and Mitsubishi motors. Just because you have a plant and cars are still poppiong out of it doesnt mean they are part of the joint venture. No, the 4G63 is not the DSM insignia. Hell, there are many other cars out there with this engine swapped into it. The Porsche, the Civic, and Mirage...they are NOT DSM's. Even most of of the EVO lineups have had this engine or the 4G94. They are NOT DSM's. It is the words DSM on that white piece of paper in the corner of you car.
If it says DSM anywere on there it IS a DSM and comes from the original manufacture line then it is.

If it does not then you are NOT a DSM owner. You own a Mitsubishi Motors product.
Before we start stating our opinions on what is considered a DSM I would like to know if you consider a 99 GS Spyder a DSM or the EVO VIII?

Old 12-26-2004, 11:04 PM

In all terms even the 2G could technicaly not be considered a DSM since Diamond-Star Motors was officially dissolved in 1993 after the design and production tooling for the 1994 and 1995 cars was complete. Mitsubishi Motors continues to operate the plant formerly responsible for DSM cars under sole ownership.

This can be argued over and over, but in all actuality I don't really care to. I know my car is what it is and were to find information on it if need be. This whole topic is going to be talked about on opinions.

If you wanna base it off opinions then I will state mine:

1989-1999

Eclipse
Talon
Laser
Galant VR-4's
Evolutions with the 4G63T and AWD platform

All the cars in this line-up I see as DSM's. Why you might ask? Because they have a common set base from the FACTORY. Not a swapped in motor or drivetrain. Yes, I understand the Avenger and Eclipse share some common traits, no I do not do see them as DSM's. Just a personal point of view. There are alot of different engines in these line-ups. Not just the 420a and 4G63 T or NA.

I am not here to start a debate over what is what. I do not consider anything popped out of the plant a DSM, nor do I feel that just because the joint venture ended in 94 that the 95-99 Eclipse or Talon are not DSM's. It is clear they all derived from the same technology. Your Galant is nice, but shares almost nothing with the original VR-4 (that was produced in Japan in the first place).

This is all just a personal point of view. I don't want to take a large chunk of bandwidth over the topic. It will be talked about till the end of time. I welcome all cars fast or slow. I am willing to learn anything I can.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:53 AM

lol your right we could argue this till the end of time and quite frankly to Mitsubishi there really is not such thing as a DSM. Your right the Galant I have shares nothing then a few cosmetic traights with the JDM VR-4. If I cared to venture I would need a 6A13tt and a tranny off of a FTO if I wanted to have a JDM engine swap and even then I couldn't take advantage to the AWD. Alot cheaper for me to start a custom TT set up for my little 4G64 or go the EVO route and drop it in. And why a TT set up? Just because I think it can be done.

So will end this and let other people argue what they consider a DSM. IMO a DSM is every car made under the Mitsu. family. From the Mirage and Sebring to the Galant and EVO. Don't matter to me what I don't like is the alieanation of other Mitsubishi rides. You seem to have a good apperciation of other Mitsu. rides and I can respect that. If I wanted to be fast I would grab my 1G. If I want to be slow and show I grab my Galant. To me where all family.....

Old 12-28-2004, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Prophet

lol your right we could argue this till the end of time and quite frankly to Mitsubishi there really is not such thing as a DSM. Your right the Galant I have shares nothing then a few cosmetic traights with the JDM VR-4. If I cared to venture I would need a 6A13tt and a tranny off of a FTO if I wanted to have a JDM engine swap and even then I couldn't take advantage to the AWD. Alot cheaper for me to start a custom TT set up for my little 4G64 or go the EVO route and drop it in. And why a TT set up? Just because I think it can be done.

So will end this and let other people argue what they consider a DSM. IMO a DSM is every car made under the Mitsu. family. From the Mirage and Sebring to the Galant and EVO. Don't matter to me what I don't like is the alieanation of other Mitsubishi rides. You seem to have a good apperciation of other Mitsu. rides and I can respect that. If I wanted to be fast I would grab my 1G. If I want to be slow and show I grab my Galant. To me where all family.....
That's it man. We all have nice cars and respect eachother.

That wold be a nice TT setup when it is complete. I saw WHEN because you sound as if you are pretty handy with a Mitsu and a wrench. As most of us are, lol.

Good Luck and keep us updated. I fully understand were you are coming from and I appreciate you see my side. AS long as you enjoy your car and I enjoy mine we are ALL GOOD.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:01 PM

lol I got plans for my G. All I am waiting on right now is my 4G64 engine to come in and I will start the rebuild. Just looking for a shop around me who can make a good custom exhaust manifold and I am all set.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:33 AM

Where are you located?

And those 64's put out SRT4 type torque. Watchout Tranny, lol.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:41 AM

I am located in the Bay Area California.

The tranny has always been the weakest part to the Galant. When the 8G came out HKS tried to hook up a turbo system too it. Killed it in less than the first 2,000 miles. Tranny died.

I am going to still try to use it but if it goes I am going to have to get a manual from a 3G and swap it out. I am planning to small turbo's and the only reason why I am doing this is because it hasn't been done.

What do you think? I would like to hear your input.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:03 PM

I say go for it. Twins in that bay should be able to get in.

For size are you thinking 2 the same or one with a larger Comp wheel or Turbine? There are many different ways.

Smaller turbos I would look into the Evo16G. Lighter wheels in a smaller housing than the typical 16G and more power potential or there is the BigT28. These are DSM turbos and are relatively cheap for the product. HKS and Greddy platforms are WAAAAY over priced. What type of numbers are you looking for?

The tranny has ALWAYS been mitsu's weak point. The 3G can handle some good power possibly, but the torque is were it will stress. People that do the 4G64 in the Talon/Eclipse dept. Usually see a but load more. Think SRT4. Seen guys make 360whp but 400ftq. It is crazy.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:12 AM

I was wondering, is the Dodge Stratus a DSM ? or what ?

This is a domestic Mitsu. Motors vehicle right ?

DT

Quick Reply: what is this dsm