Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

03 OZ Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:09 AM
Default 03 OZ Exhaust

I am new to the 4 cyl world and want an exhaust that is DEEP and does not sound like (don't hate ) Rice. I come from a Camaro Z28 with a 350 V8 so that sounded so good and deep. I know I am not going to get the same thing from a 2.0 4 cyl. but my friend has an 04 STI with the Cobb exhaust and it sounds great, but Cobb is not for Lancers. What would be the closest to that or could I fabricate the Cobb to fit my Lancer? If not, what else would be very deep and sound great, again, not like rice.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 03 OZ Exhaust

Well there is also a very big difference from the lancer to the sti, he has the turbo so it will sound better. You'll can really only get as good of a sound as the engine will give. But for a deep sound i have heard that magnaflow has a nice tone

Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM

the STi is a flat 4 and the OZ is a I4 that alone even if both were NA is enough to make it IMPOSSIBLE to sound alike.

Flat motors sound like more of a helicopter. and since your talking a NA lancer id be willing to render a guess it will not sound as good as you hope. Look at NA eclipse sound clips if you dont like the sound of a NA GS eclipse you wont like your cars either

Old 06-08-2006, 08:03 PM

Okay, well I have plans to turbo it, but that won't be for quite sometime... and thanks for that info, I shall check out some GS clips.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:15 PM

i have a 04 oz rally and i wanted to know the same thing.. but i think im going to go with jus ta muffler to make the car sound lauder.. some people are teling me to go with the boral or magnaflow b.c im looking for a deep tone? would that be a good pick?

Old 06-10-2006, 12:32 PM

WELL MY FRIEND YOU WANNA SOUND LIKE A V8 OR STI MAKE A CAMSHAFT TO SOUND LIKE A V8 IF YOU WANT A SOUN LIKE A STI ONE TIME I USES A 4-1 HEADER LIKE THE RPW THE CAR SOUND MORE RUFF TAKE A LITTLE SOUN LIKE FLAT 4 MOTOR MAYBE IS THE WAY IN WICH THE AIR ESCAPE BY THE DISTANCE OF THE TUBES IN THE HEADER. MY MOTOR IS A 4G94

Old 06-10-2006, 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: mxthor44

i have a 04 oz rally and i wanted to know the same thing.. but i think im going to go with jus ta muffler to make the car sound lauder.. some people are teling me to go with the boral or magnaflow b.c im looking for a deep tone? would that be a good pick?
I have heard clips of Magnaflow and I would never go with them on this car. I had a 99 Z28 with magnaflow and I only wish it was louder. my 00 Z had SLP loudmouth and that was not even loud enough for me, but that is V8 loud. for this 4cyl, I want a nice deep tone with no rattling (mf gave that rattling sound in the clips) so I don't want that. http://www.buschurracing.com/video.htm and check out the videos of the BR bullet and the BR muffler one, I think those are the two best I have found so far. Right now I am saving up for either some wheels or a bunch of smaller mods.

what mods would you reccomend on a stock lancer (to start off with, as in my first mods)?

Old 06-24-2006, 09:22 PM

I drive an 02 ES so we have basically the same car (at least I'm reasonably sure). What I first did was cut out both of the stock mufflers (theres 2 under there) and replace it all with larger pipe (2.25 inch) and a small 12 icnh glasspack (please, no bashing, I was broke, and still am). It seems like that was the loudest it would get, kind of a growly scream, but it didnt have much depth or real feeling to it. I was tired of not having the look of a real muffler under the rear so I looked around for all stainless steel sport mufflers. I went to a local Meineke after seeing their line on the internet (they sell a brand called Volt). I was skeptical but one of the intsallers worked at a meineke across from a tuner shop and all of the kids got mufflers at meineke, said they liked the Volt more than the injens and HKS's. I trusted him and got one of the Volt's installed, besides, all I wanted was stainless steel construction thruout and the volt had it. Anyways, on a completely stock 02 ES the Volt sounds a hell of a lot better than a glasspack. Its a tiny tiny bit less loud (the glasspack basically has no baffles) but the sound is ten times deeper and fuller. Please note, before everyone hates on me for getting volt, I wouldve gladly bought HKS or Injen but i was really low on cash. And from what I saw, this particular meineke did a super nice installation, altho i cant speak for everyone of them cuz theyre a chain. They have their line of Volt mufflers at meineke.com i think, whatever it is, check em out depending on your budget. But the first thing I ever did to my lancer was put larger wheels on it. I have some black TSW 17s and it automatically makes the car look so much better than stock. Sorry Ive really rambled on, hope this helped somewhat. Peace.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:27 PM

http://www.supremeperformance.com/DisplayTab.aspx?tid=1

hope this link works. peace