Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2g exhaust help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Default 2g exhaust help please

i have currently have the stock exhaust installed on my 1999 eclipse gs-t and i want to upgrade but i'm not quite sure where to start. I've been given alot of opinions but i'm not sure what to do b/c i couldn;t tell you the difference between and axel back exhaust or a catback so the most descriptie help would be apprecated. i'm wiling to learn thanks. a mhi 16g is the only mod by the way.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Default RE: 2g exhaust help please

you already havea 16g turbo on it but don't have an exhaust system on it? alrighty lol. did you buy it w/ the 16g or did you install it? do you know what brand it it?

exhaust all depends on what you want. for loud, obnoxious, hear you from 2 miles away exhaust you will want to go w/ a Titanium exhaust that Apexi, Greddy and 1 or 2 other companies make, or Thermal R&D. for a quieter deeper sound i'd go w/ Apexi N1, Greddy EVO 2, or Magnaflow. a catback exhaust is exactly what it says... an exahust system from the cat (catalyc converter) back to the end (the end being the muffler). the other parts that make up the exhaust of a turbo'd car are the turbo/exhaust manifold (part from the engine to the turbo), o2 housing (part directly off the turbo), downpipe (part from the o2 housing to the cat) and the cat. On turbo'd cars, most ppl either go w/ a testpipe to replace the cat which is nothing but a striaght piece of pipe that eliminates the cat all together which ends in better perforamcne (1-2whp from an upgraded high flow cat and probably 5-6whp upgrade from stock cat). The one drawback to having a test pipe rather than a high flow cat is that it will usually not pass emissions. if you have any more questions feel free to ask. we also have a great 2nd Generation Eclipse section that you can post in for a little bit more traffic.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:57 AM

the small 16g i have installed is made by mitsubishi heavy industries. i don;t want my car to be obnoxious i'm jsut lookin for some small gains and a nice sound. thanks for the help man appreciate it.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:14 PM

check under sights and sounds for my apexi n1 video. show you what it sounds like on a turbo car.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 AM

i'd definatly suggest greddy evo 2, apexi n1, or Magnaflow for a nice subtle quite deep sound.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 AM

I second Rons vote for a Greddy.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Apex-i N1 is a great system, I just took it off my car. TO GO BIGGER.

For a bolt on system it's hard to beat.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 PM

cool cool

Old 08-01-2007, 02:44 AM

Hey just a 95 eclipse gst and i am looking at doing a cold air intake and exhaust to include cold air intake, O2 sensor, exhaust manifold, downpipe, exhaust from the turbo out (getting rid of cat.) and a turbo timer since i will be running the turbo a little harder than i do now. Is there anything that you can suggest such as companies, and anything else that i would need to complete the intake and the exhaust that i am forgetting.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: jdninde

Hey just a 95 eclipse gst and i am looking at doing a cold air intake and exhaust to include cold air intake, O2 sensor, exhaust manifold, downpipe, exhaust from the turbo out (getting rid of cat.) and a turbo timer since i will be running the turbo a little harder than i do now. Is there anything that you can suggest such as companies, and anything else that i would need to complete the intake and the exhaust that i am forgetting.
Before you just jump on these parts, lay out a game plan. What else are you wanting to do (turbo, cams, FMIC, etc.)?

Quick Reply: 2g exhaust help please