Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

After-market intake for a Gen 1 Montero?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 07:22 AM
Default After-market intake for a Gen 1 Montero?

In the process of having my '91 rebuilt and was considering an after-market cold air intake....but, of course as I've already found out, parts for Gen 1s are scarce and I've found exactly one option (here) specifically made for it. Has anyone ever modded a cold air intake up themselves to fit?

Old 03-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Unless you plan to route the filter to the outside the hood or to literally block it off from the engine compartment with cold air channeled directly to it, don't waste your money. Any "Cold Air Intake" that is bolted directly to the end of the throttle body or to the end of the intake pipe that terminates under the hood, is actually a HOT Air Intake. Think about it... The intake is behind the closed hood, behind the radiator, so all you are going to do is suck in hot air from around the engine. If you look at where the air is getting ingested for "regular" air filter, it is in usually through a slot or opening that is not behind the radiator.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:45 PM

I totally agree with HunterD . As you can see in the picture I have posted I rerouted the Filter out of the engine bay and into the fenderwell . It gets cold air through the grill . You can by this hose from Spectra...