Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cam question for ya and cam gears??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Default Cam question for ya and cam gears??

Is the cams in a 4 cyl the same as a V-8? In a SOHC mustang there are two cams does that go for the 2.4l eclipse engine Too? Or is there just one? I am looking for some cam gears is this worth it? I am looking for some mods with decent power gains? Throttle body good? Anything besides exhaust, intake, and headers. Help a newbie out??

Old 03-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Default RE: Cam question for ya and cam gears??

no the cams are not the same you cannot just take a cam from one car and put it in a different kind of car. Secondly, there is only one cam in a mustang, SOHC stands for SINGLE overhead cam. most v8's only have 1 cam. why dont you want intake or exhaust? those are the first mods you should do for a reason, if you got cams, intake and exhaust are only going to restrict you more. there are a million things you should do first before worrying about cams.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:47 AM

Thanks, for the help but there are 2 cams in the Mustang, I have torn the engine down and put cams in it. I have a 4.6l V-8 it is SOHC which means there are one came on each side of the motor( The Cobra mustang which is a DOHC has 4 cams, two on each side), its not like the old 5.0 mustangs, they do only have one cam. I just installed the performance cams in my mustang and thats why i was making sure there was not two cams in the eclipse, kinda a dumb question being there is only 4cyl but i wanted to make sure it was not set up some different way. I have had mustangs since I could even remember to learn about cars but I know knothing about FWD or 4cyl cars at all thats why I'm trying to learn something. If for some reason you think I am wrong about the V-8 part let me know how, if you are right then I need to take the extra cam out of my motor.(lol) About the performance upgrades, thanks for the help, I know you need, intake and exhaust first, thats half the battle, getting air in and out the fastest. I just meant if I had that already what would be next, one of my friends keeps telling me to do the throttle body, cam gears and pullies and i would feel a difference.Is that true after intake and exhaust. On bolt ons for the eclipse is it pretty much like it is on a V-8, what I mean is the intake on a mustang says 15rwhp from the intake, well on the dyno you get right at 3 to 4hp, The pullies are said to ad 15rwhp but then again you only get about 8hp. Is this all pretty much the same?? I know its all advertising but some things are different, like the chip was said to give me about 18rwhp but I recived about 24rwhp(pretty cood from the computer). Anyway thanks for the help.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM

do u have a turbo or na eclipse?

Old 04-01-2005, 10:45 AM

Its a 2.4l N/A 1998 eclipse spyder, sorry about that. Justin

Old 04-04-2005, 01:18 PM

Basically for any car if it has SOHC that is a single cam per head, DOHC is two per head (one for exaust and one for intake). So for a sohc V8 there's two cams. My dohc 4 cylinder has two as well.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:57 PM

Thanks, thats what i figured, but there are a lot of different things I am finding with 4 cyl. Needed to make sure. All the questions I have been asking i have been getting many different answers to, like turboing the 2.4l. Crap I just give up on that, now I am way to confused. Some say its hard some say its easy. You can swap these parts but not these.????? If anybody reads this and knows how to do this correctly will you please PM me and explain it. Thanks, for the help vertstang.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 PM

I'd do some looking around online for instructions from people who have done it before if you're serious about doing it. Then you can get much more detailed instructions than you could from someone replying on here. You can also get a feel for the scope of the project and all the parts you're really gonna need, not just the obvious big ones.

Old 04-16-2005, 12:46 AM

No one has address what he is looking for. 273 degree cams provide higher end horsepower, so yes a higher peak horsepower rating, but that's only good on the straights. To get the best out of the cams for a grocery-getter, stick to a milder cam.

Old 04-16-2005, 01:16 PM

he didnt ask what kind of cams to get he just asked if he should get some or any other mod that wuld help him..

Quick Reply: Cam question for ya and cam gears??