Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

catback

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Default catback

I got the apexi front pipe, eliminates the cat and all that... how much do you think it will run for a cat back pipe from an exhaust shop? cause I don't want to go from 3" to stock.. yikes

Old 05-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Default RE: catback

Depends on if you want a stainless steel system or aluminized system. The SS syystem will run about $400-$600, and the Aluminized will be around $300. The aluminized is kinda good because it's lighter than the SS, however it won't last nearly as long as the SS. The SS is good, but still pricey. As you can prolly see now, aftermarket systems, like the Apexi N1 or HKS Dragger, are very comparable in price. Some shops just aren't capable of making a system close to the aftermarket peices. They don't have the right machines to bend the pipes or can't design it well enough to optomize flow(even though they are using the stock system as a template). Mandrel Bends are the best bends, the other "crunch" type makes the diameter of the bend smaller than the straight pieces. And some shops will say that they can't fit a 3" system under the eclipse.....if they say that, they're not experienced enough. My recommendation would be to either buy an aftermarket system, or find a really REALLY good shop to spend your money on. Also, many shops will want to use their choice muffler and will include it into there price for no extra charge. Check to see what muffler they want to use and see if they will order a different brand for you or not. I thought the gix already had an exhaust system.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:39 AM

?

Old 05-24-2004, 11:26 AM

yeah, I think it is stock 2 1/4" but I don't want to restrict flow from the front pipe.. unless its not going to be a huge problem. I would like to get the new apexi WT ?? I think, the cat back with the special muffler system that allows the exhaust gasses to circulate unless under high acceleration. and then allows straight through flow.. I don't recall the price, but it read to be very nice. it would be like a silencer for daily driving and performance when you get on it.