Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake helpful?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:30 AM
Default Cold Air Intake helpful?

Hi, I have a 96 Eclipse GSX and I was wondering if a cold air intake would be helpful for a little gain of horsepower. I was just wondering if it would be helpful or should I not even bother with an intake and leave it stock? What kind of after market intake would be beneficial to my car?

Old 12-28-2006, 04:00 AM
Banned
Default RE: Cold Air Intake helpful?

Its nice to have. Eliminates a littl restriction...maybe a little power gain. Injen are the best....remember to get one with the dump tube

Old 12-28-2006, 06:51 AM

Here's what I would do.
[IMG]local://upfiles/10268/9C2E8AFD7F8C4F6D8CFA8AB21B006715.jpg[/IMG]
I made a little divider to help keep the engine/turbo heat away from the intake. It dropped 10 degrees off my intake temps and it cost me whatever the cost of the foam and sheetmetal was...$15 perhaps?
If it's not cold enough for you, you can also make some sort of ducting that can point cooler air into that area. Folks do that both and have dropped their intake temps another 5 degrees. Sure, a CAI will do the same thing, but you will have a dirty filter in a shorter period of time.
I have an Injen intake pipe and I hate it! I wouldn't say they are the best, they are perhaps one of the more inexpensive brands, but not the best.
The insides aren't even smoothed out, it's very rough. The more costly ones are smooth and the recirc tube is a tad longer so that you can have more hose fastened down onto the tube. My Injen recirc tube is short compared to some of the other brands. Other than that, they work fine, just not the best.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:28 PM

Cold air intake can add as much as 10 - 15 hp. Make sure your get a high flow filter and that it mounts as far away from the engine as possible.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:12 AM

thank you all very much for your inputs. i really appreciate it xD

Old 12-29-2006, 06:01 AM

ORIGINAL: VR4GARY

Cold air intake can add as much as 10 - 15 hp. Make sure your get a high flow filter and that it mounts as far away from the engine as possible.
..just like saying the RAMs get 5-10 HP. I don't see aftermarket intakes adding anything at all, in fact they get rid of the restrictions of the stock airbox like Sebba mentioned. In turn it allows more air into the motor, but to get the gains, it has to be able to "exhale" too.
It doesn't have to mounted far at all, the filter just needs to be sectioned off from the hot air created by the motor and turbo, or just the motor (N/A cars).
I'm not arguing about the CAI, just saying that there are more options than a CAI. More options to get cold air in an not hot air that is.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

ORIGINAL: VR4GARY

..just like saying the RAMs get 5-10 HP. I don't see aftermarket intakes adding anything at all, in fact they get rid of the restrictions of the stock airbox like Sebba mentioned. In turn it allows more air into the motor, but to get the gains, it has to be able to "exhale" too.
It doesn't have to mounted far at all, the filter just needs to be sectioned off from the hot air created by the motor and turbo, or just the motor (N/A cars).
I'm not arguing about the CAI, just saying that there are more options than a CAI. More options to get cold air in an not hot air that is.
^ +1 don't listen to the factory BS... when you put on a CAI your lucky if you get 2 HP to the wheels... sure they prolly got 15 fly horsepower gain, but they diddn't tell you about that leafblower hooked up to the intake pipe

Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 AM

Wow icic. There's alot here that i don't know about. I'm all newb when it comes to car. I really appreciate all the response. If having an CIA, would it make the car more reliable?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:31 AM

dude....just leave it stock, that is if you want reliability. better yet, get the system from the dealership, that is to cover warranty.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:48 PM

a cold air intake won't void a warranty..a FULL exhaust system will void it but a cat-back system won't.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake helpful?