Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Engine confusion.... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Default Engine confusion.... Help!

Ijust bought a 91 EclipseGS at the begining of February. There is some work that needs to be done on the engine, but I've been having trouble finding proper fitting parts. I know that its supposed to have the 4g63 but my dad and I were looking at pictures in my Chilton manual and they have a picture of both the 2.0L DOHC turbo and non-turbo. The engine that is in my car looks almost exactly like the 2.0L DOHC Turbo picture. The only difference that i can see is that the intake is different and there's no turbo. What I think happened is that the primary owner did an engine swap to the 4g63t and installed straight piping for exhaust. I know that the guy who I bought it from took off the straight pipe exhaust that the primary owner had installed and replaced the entire exhaust system, manifold to muffler. I can tell you that this guy was not very smart, and I think he took off the turbo with the exhaust manifold, threw away the turbo, and used a stock, non-turbo exhaust manifold when he replaced it. I also think that he replaced the turbo intake with the non-turbo intake since he threw away the turbo. I have pics so if people can tell me if it is that 63t or not, that would be great. Thanks!
P.S. I guess the pictures I have are too large to attach so I'm going to try to get them up in the Photo Gallery.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned
Default RE: Engine confusion.... Help!

So.. it doesnt have a turbo.. and none of the turbo features... yet you think its the turbo motor?I dont understand

They are identical from the exterior... the only way to tell is by actually looking if there is a turbo.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

You already have a thread abt this in the 1gen section. Post pics of the engine bay! If you have a gs its a non-turbo.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Post the pics on photobucket.com and post the IMG link in here.

I highly doubt you had a turbo motor only because you would then need a turbo Ecu to make the swap work. If your car has all the turbo componets like fuel ect they the NA Ecu the car wont run properly nor would it run properly in the opposite fasion either

Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: dsm1990gsx

You already have a thread abt this in the 1gen section. Post pics of the engine bay! If you have a gs its a non-turbo.
Not really. alot of GSt 1Gs were called GS thats all.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

I have never seen that before??? All I know gs are fwd n/t, gs-t are fwd turbo and gsxare awd turbo.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

I have never seen that before??? All I know gs are fwd n/t, gs-t are fwd turbo and gsxare awd turbo.
I understand that. but 1G GST's didnt actually sport a letter 'T' on the trunk. as I remember them they only has GS on them. The sideskirt might have said Turbo DOHC or whatever but not hte trunk as far as I remember, could be wrong. But if that is correct then depening who you ask he could have a GS that is a T

Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 PM

Kinda like the GSX's 1Gs sported a Red letter 'X'

Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Come to think abt it you are right, they have the gs then 2.0 16 dohc turbo in really small print.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

The 1g turbo FWD usually say on the back GS Turbo They dont sport the actual T

To the OP, both the turbo and NT engine look almost identical from the outside. So you do have a 4g63 NT engine. And i dont think the person did any type of swap. Because running a turbo engine without a turbo is just plain stupid. Because your acually making your stock engine even worse now running a lower compression motor without any forced induction. Not to smart

Quick Reply: Engine confusion.... Help!